Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Cuebid-Fredrik
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Fredrik Ranelov

Help with GFS in v10

Post by Cuebid-Fredrik »

Hi,

I'm really trying to get my head around this one, so please enlightened ones - help.

1. My fairly small(12TB) customer want's a 30day backup/weekly full, 2monthly, 3quarterly, 1yearly on primary target(StoreOnce). How do I configure this in a v10 job? In Backup Copy it's possible, but in VM Backup GFS there's "weekly/monthly/yearly". Why?

2. For secondary target we have an option to copy to Azure. Preferably only the latest backup(s), not as an archive as in SOBR. Is this even possible? If not, please suggest a solution where we only keep enough data on Azure for DR to keep costs down.

Thoughts?
/Fredrik
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Help with GFS in v10

Post by PetrM »

Hi Fredrik,

1. I think that this post should fully answer your question.

2. If you're talking about primary backup job, I'd recommend to re-consider the strategy and to store the latest chain on the Performance Tier in order to be able to quickly restore workloads using the recent restore points. You can offload inactive chains using Move policy and therefore to keep costs down.
If you're talking about backup copy job, you may use Copy policy as it automatically offloads backups to an object storage as soon as they appear.

Thanks!
Cuebid-Fredrik
Service Provider

Post by Cuebid-Fredrik »

Thanks Petr!

1. Then I understand. I will suggest another policy to the customer, taking out the quarterly.

2. Well, the customer already owns a StoreOnce, so the Azure copy will be an added cost that will soon surpass the cost of another deduping unit with this long retention. So I was hoping for a solution where I keep a few secondary copies for DR on Azure. Will that be possible? If not, I think I'll go for a secondary cheap REFS-storage with small Azure offload archive.
(Counting 15 000€ for a StoreOnce 3620 storing about 200TB with 15x, is roughly 40TB Azure Blob Cool for 36 months at 11€/TB/month. Right?)

Cheers,
/F
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can use a separate copy job with shorter retention that will be offloaded to cloud.
Cuebid-Fredrik
Service Provider

Post by Cuebid-Fredrik »

Ah ok!
Something like this?
- Create local target with enough space for 1day of backups plus change
- Create SOBR with that local target + Azure and set to copy immediately
- Create Copy Job to copy to that SOBR immediately with one restore point
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Seems to be fine but not necessarily to create just one restore point for just one day, you can set any number of restore points depending on the length of backup chain you're going to offload.

Thanks!