Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
troyquigey
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: troy quigley

how can i backup w/out all the vm's packed into 1 VBK file ?

Post by troyquigey »

vmware esxi 4.1
veeam 6.5
11 vm's
2tb esata hdd
veeam settings: incremental, perform active full backup each workday, compression level = none, optimize for = local target, enable inline data deduplication = enabled
i remove the esata drive each day and take it home, and then i replace it with the spare from home.

my backup worked, but all 11 vm's are in 1 VBK file

is there a way to get veeam backup, to backup the vm's individually.
and
not in a VBK file. i would much rather have them in the raw file format they are on the vmware datastore.
i want to be able to take this external esata hdd off site, and plug into another vmware server.
without the need to expand/unzip the backup files.

is this possible ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: how can i backup w/out all the vm's packed into 1 VBK fi

Post by foggy »

troyquigey wrote:i would much rather have them in the raw file format they are on the vmware datastore.
Probably, you need to use replication instead of backup then. Unlike backup files, replica virtual disks are stored uncompressed in their native format. I suggest reviewing the corresponding section of the product user guide (p.50) for better understanding. If you still have any questions, feel free to ask here.
troyquigey
Novice

Post by troyquigey »

foggy wrote: Probably, you need to use replication instead of backup then. Unlike backup files, replica virtual disks are stored uncompressed in their native format. I suggest reviewing the corresponding section of the product user guide (p.50) for better understanding. If you still have any questions, feel free to ask here.
replica want to send the files to another live esxi host.
i want to merely backup/copy my vm's to an esata drive, and then be able to take that drive (when it is needed) and bring up the vm's on my disaster esxi server.

i am now going to test out "vm copy".
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Be aware that VM copy jobs do not track changes, only backup and replication jobs do. Furthermore, you cannot specify retention policy for VM Copy jobs and they do not preserve thin-provisioned disk format. Also, existing snapshots get consolidated into a single flat file during VM Copy job. If you need to migrate VM along with its snapshots, you can use the File Copy job to copy the entire VM folder to the target location.
troyquigey
Novice

Post by troyquigey »

foggy wrote:Be aware that VM copy jobs do not track changes, only backup and replication jobs do. Furthermore, you cannot specify retention policy for VM Copy jobs and they do not preserve thin-provisioned disk format. Also, existing snapshots get consolidated into a single flat file during VM Copy job. If you need to migrate VM along with its snapshots, you can use the File Copy job to copy the entire VM folder to the target location.
i thought file copy could not be used on LIVE vm's

that is why i tried vm copy
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

troyquigey wrote:i thought file copy could not be used on LIVE vm's
Correct, File Copy job will copy VM's base disk, however its current state will be lost. Seems that VM Copy job is the only option then.