Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
egraeber
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Graeber

How do I import a backup I have moved from one DDBoost repository to another?

Post by egraeber »

I am trying to relocate some very large backup copy jobs from one DDBoost repository to another due to space constraints. In order to do so, I plan to clone some of my existing backup copy jobs and retarget them to the new repository so I can get my backup copies back on track and then back-fill the older archive backups by manually copying the files from the old repository to the new one and then importing those VBK's back into VEEAM from their new location. I think I can accomplish this using the Import-VBRBackup powershell command, however I can't figure out how to specify the location of the file in the new repository. I have already copied the VBK into the appropriate folder in the new repository.

Does anyone know how to set up the parameters for the Import-VBRBackup command in this scenario?

Additionally, if anyone has any recommendation for how I can accomplish my goal of relocating large (>20TB) backup folders from one DDBoost repository to another in a timely fashion and in a more straightforward manner, I would be interested to know. I know a way to do this is to copy the entire backup folder over, rescan the new repository and then retarget the existing job to the new repository, but the transfer rates are so slow it will take weeks. Any insights would certainly be appreciated.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: How do I import a backup I have moved from one DDBoost repository to another?

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Eric,
Does anyone know how to set up the parameters for the Import-VBRBackup command in this scenario?
Given that you have already added the storage to VBR console as a backup repository, you can execute the command below:

Code: Select all

$rep = Get-VBRBackupRepository
Import-VBRBackup -FileName <FullPath> -Repository $rep
Have a look at this article for the reference.

Best regards,
Oleg
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software

Re: How do I import a backup I have moved from one DDBoost repository to another?

As for your second question, you might want to check Data Domain Replicator possibilities described on page 338 of this guide.
egraeber
Novice

Post by egraeber »

I tried the import-vbrbackup command with the parameters per the article you recommended but it seems to have imported it back into the original repository backup records rather than into the new repository backup records--i.e. the backup is listed twice under the original repository and not listed under the new repository as intended. Do you have any other thoughts or suggestions?
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software

On this step you need to pass your new repository to a variable:

Code: Select all

$rep = Get-VBRBackupRepository -Name "DDBoost-New"
Then import your backups passing the variable with the new repository to -Repository parameter.
Thanks!
egraeber
Novice

Post by egraeber »

I did that. The command I used was

PS C:\Users\eric> import-vbrbackup "ddboost://mdnddomain:ddboost-repo-2@/Backup Copy_anasqlp3/ANASQLP3.vm-5555D2018-08-05T000000_M.vbk" -repository $repo

where $repo is DDBoost-Repo-2 which is the new repository. The backup is now listed twice under the original backup job and not at all under the cloned backup job. The command doesn't actually specify to which backup job the backup should be added. What I want is to get the relocated VBK file registered in the cloned backup job's VBM.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software

Eric, honestly, I'm a bit confused. Now you are saying that the backup is listed twice under the original backup job, however, previously you mentioned that it was listed twice under the original backup repository.
The backups you import with Import Backup option form a standalone backup chain/single backup file, which doesn't belong to any job. Though, it is listed under the source job name + _imported suffix.

What I want is to get the relocated VBK file registered in the cloned backup job's VBM.
By design you cannot get imported backup registered in backup job's VBM. It is standalone, as I mentioned.

Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Probably, for now the best approach will be to check the state of configuration database with support engineer. He should be able to tell the root cause of the issue experienced and also help you clear stalled entities. Thanks!
egraeber
Novice

Post by egraeber »

The imported backups are listed under the original backup copy job when you try to restore and also when you look at properties for the copy backups which are listed by job name. If I were to delete-from-disk the old backup copy job prior to performing the import, where would it list the imported job?
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software

if you delete original backup copy job prior to import, copied and then imported backups will still be listed under its name. Thanks!