Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Keyboard
Lurker
Liked: never

How does a snapshot on VMs work?

Post by Keyboard »

Hi,
I stumbled across something I can't understand. I read all those articles across your KB and forum but can't find the proper answer.

I created a backup job and it returned the error that guest file system indexing cant be performed due to the fact that the guest OS is Win Server 2000. Your websites tells that Win Server 2000 doesn't support VSS and therefore guest file system indexing can't be performed. But what does guest file system indexing have to do with VSS? Isn't VSS only used for application aware processing?

What I also do not understand is what component takes a snapshot during backup when application aware processing and VMware quiscenceing isnt enabled. What component takes a snapshot of a Win Server 2000, when it doesn't support VSS?

Would be very glad if someone could explain me! I tried so hard to find the answer :/
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 680 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: How does a snapshot on VMs work?

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Hi there!

- there are 2 possible snapshots in the backup: guest OS VSS snapshot(performed by Microsoft when we ask Application-Aware OS Image) and VM-level virtualization snapshot(performed by ESXi when we start backup). First snapshot is 100% optional, whereas 2nd is mandatory.
- There are 2 major players during guest processing: Veeam Guest Helper that will run every process we do inside machine, and Veeam Guest Indexer that will index guest file system. Technically, indexing can work without VSS, however we have dropped Windows Server 2000 support(it's end of life was 11 years ago!) for both processes to reduce testing footprint. OS is long way gone.

Few notes:
- you can perform crash-consistent backup of WS2000 still, with no guest processing at all
- you can still mount WS2000 backup and perform file search via Explorer(no index required)
- fact that WS2000 hasn't receive any security updates since 2010 makes missing indexing last of your problems - you should seriously consider upgrades \ workload migrations \ app switch

/Hope that helps!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: How does a snapshot on VMs work?

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Small comment about Guest Indexing. Guest Indexing is generally not needed for File Level Recovery. It is only needed if you want to use the Self-Service File Level Recovery within Enterprise Manager. It copies the file system table or similar information and forwards it to the Enterprise Manager.