Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kjstech
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Keith S

How long until Exagrid capacity reclaimed - change retention

Post by kjstech »

Hello,

We are approaching the limits of our Exagrid 21000 system. Right now I have 5% retention space available and 53% landing zone available.
In Veeam 9.5 I went into our Backup Copy jobs and changed the retention. Now it has 2 restore points to keep and keep 2 weekly backups. If I go into Backups > Disk (copy) it shows 4 restore points for each vm. If I try to recover a VM I can go back to 21 days ago. This is fine for now until we can budget in 2018 for a larger capacity Exagrid.

Regular backup jobs are set to 14 restore points, synthetic fulls on Saturdays. They are showing 16 restore points. I did not change anything here except to not back up a few secondary hard drives on a few VM's that do not need it.

So I keep refreshing the Exagrid web page and I'm not getting any space returned to me. If anything, space is still depleting. Do I have to wait for the current Deduplication and Replication Status to transition from "In Progress" to "Completed"? Do I have to wait for another backup job this evening? Do I have to wait until next week when there is another full backup that triggers a refresh of the weekly copy jobs?
kjstech
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Keith S

Re: How long until Exagrid capacity reclaimed - change reten

Post by kjstech »

Well after a night of backups the landing zone is now 100% available and retention space went up 1% to a total of 6%. I was really hoping to gain a lot more space because I did really trim the fat on our backups, but I only gained a small portion.