Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
verre
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

How proxies and VBR server communicates

Post by verre »

Hi everyone, I've some question for you...
I'm testing Veeam B&R for a Datacenter Provider Environment. This are my assumptions:
- I install Veeam B&R server in my datacenter (suppose that I am the cloud provider), then I add a proxy in my client's datacenter. First question: how do they communicate? Do I need to setup a vpn in order to add the proxy (which is hosted in Client's Datacenter) to my Veeam B&R server?
- I install another proxy in my datacenter as a target for backup copy job and as replication target. Second question: is it recommended/mandatory to use separate proxies for backup and replica?
- the two proxies communicate in WAN (no vpn) and I know that there is Wan acceleration and data encryption for backup copy job, but I have to wait V8 in order to have acceleration and encryption also for replica: is it correct?
- last question: if I have more than one client, do I have to (or would it better) install one Veeam B&R server for each client, or just one Veeam B&R server for all clients and one proxy for each?
I thank you in advance for your support and be patient for my bad English
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: How proxies and VBR server communicates

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Valentino,
verre wrote:I install Veeam B&R server in my datacenter (suppose that I am the cloud provider), then I add a proxy in my client's datacenter. First question: how do they communicate? Do I need to setup a vpn in order to add the proxy (which is hosted in Client's Datacenter) to my Veeam B&R server?
VPN is mandatory, but in upcoming version we are having Veeam Cloud Connect solution which works without VPN, the connection will happen directly over the Internet, using a single TCP port protected by SSL encryption.
verre wrote:I install another proxy in my datacenter as a target for backup copy job and as replication target. Second question: is it recommended/mandatory to use separate proxies for backup and replica?
the two proxies communicate in WAN (no vpn) and I know that there is Wan acceleration and data encryption for backup copy job, but I have to wait V8 in order to have acceleration and encryption also for replica: is it correct?
You need a proxy on the provider site only for replication jobs.
verre wrote:last question: if I have more than one client, do I have to (or would it better) install one Veeam B&R server for each client, or just one Veeam B&R server for all clients and one proxy for each?
Your clients need Veeam B&R to be installed. By the way the solution includes Multi-tenancy feature to manage multiple customers, cloud repositories and cloud gateways from one all-inclusive management and reporting console.
Veeam Cloud Connect solution is a part of our upcoming v8 release. It`s going to be published soon (November).
Thank you.
verre
Enthusiast

Post by verre »

Ok, thank you Shestakov, a clarification...you said:
Your clients need Veeam B&R to be installed
therefore my client (customer) needs to install Veeam B&R server in his own site?

And another question: in V7, does the backup-copy-jobs encrypt the data?

And as I have understood, with Clod-Connect solution, both Replication and Backup Copy Job have the SSL encryption (no vpn need)
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

verre wrote:therefore my client (customer) needs to install Veeam B&R server in his own site?
In the best case scenario, a client keeps backups on a local repository + stores a copy of backups on a cloud provider`s site. It satisfies 3-2-1 backup rule. Do your clients have different situations?
However, you can backup their data for them remotely from your VBR server. It depends on the use case.
verre wrote:in V7, does the backup-copy-jobs encrypt the data?
Currently traffic between agents is not encrypted, for that reason we recommend to use VPN in v7.
verre wrote:And as I have understood, with Clod-Connect solution, both Replication and Backup Copy Job have the SSL encryption (no vpn need)
Correct, with a mention that Cloud Connect is made for backups.

Thank you.
verre
Enthusiast

Post by verre »

In the best case scenario, a client keeps backups on a local repository + stores a copy of backups on a cloud provider`s site. It satisfies 3-2-1 backup rule. Do your clients have different situations?
However, you can backup their data for them remotely from your VBR server. It depends on the use case.
Sure! My client only hosts the proxy and the VBR server is hosted in my datacenter (I'm the cloud provider). He doesn't keep the VBR server.

Now I'm clarifying some doubt...thank you. I add another question (hope to not going ot):

Do I need to have my client's administration credentials for his virtual center? I think it could be a problem to give me access of his virtual center.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Valentino, please check our this document for the required granular vCenter Server permissions:
http://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_7_0_p ... ons_pg.pdf