Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rkg
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Roger

How reduce Veeam SQL DB size

Post by rkg »

Hi Guys, i have a Veeam server with a 180 GB DB size, I have tried Shrinking the DB on SQL, reducing the log retention on Veeam console from 6 months to 60 days, and nothing, DB reduce few Gb´s and Grow again, i have only 5 jobs saving data in a local repository + 1 job to Tape in AWS

Any other option or trick to reduce the DB size?

Thanks for any help
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: How reduce Veeam SQL DB size

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Roger

Are you doing File to Tape Jobs to a AWS VTL library?
How many files have you written to the VTL?
That will be most likely the reason why the database has grown to 180GB. The entire File to Tape catalog will be stored in the database.

I recommend a support case with veeam to analyze the database.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
rkg
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Roger

Post by rkg »

Hi Mildur, and yes doing two File to Tape Job to an AWS VTL library, one daily and one monthly, daily is variable 5-20 Gb, monthly is 5.5 TB
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 322 times

Post by david.domask » 1 person likes this post

Hey Roger,

The total volume of backup data isn't as important as the number of files. But before we go down that, maybe you can share the results of the Disk Usage by Top Tables report from SQL Management Studio -- very likely you'll see it's the [Tape].[file*] tables, but better to know than to guess.

If it is these tables and you're backing up a pretty decent quantity of files (1 million or more + the different versions), likely it's expected for the current version and not much to be done. If you need to shrink it down, you can Remove Tapes from catalog, but keep in mind this means before you can restore you'll need to recatalog the tape(s) which can take awhile.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst