Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
CelticDubstep
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

How to best setup Veeam?

Post by CelticDubstep »

We have two offices connected via a site-to-site VPN tunnel. They both have 100 Mbps Fiber Internet. The offices are setup as below:

Main Office:
Synology RackStation with 24 TB usable storage for backups
Dell PowerEdge T430 - Windows Server 2019 Standard (Main DC & File Server)
Dell PowerEdge R720 - Windows Hyper-V Server 2019 (Various VM's such as Web Server, etc)
HP ProLiant DL360 G7 - Windows Hyper-V Server 2019 (Various VM's such as VPN Server, etc)
File Server Usage: ~4.5TB

Remote Office:
Synology DiskStation with 12 TB usable storage for backups
Dell PowerEdge R420 - Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard (2nd DC & File Server)
HP ProLiant DL360 G7 - Windows Hyper-V Server 2019 (Various VM's such as VPN Server, etc)
File Server Usage: ~700GB

There is no proxy server or anything.

As of now, I have a Windows 10 Pro VM setup at each site running Veeam Backup & Replication independently from one another. Initially I had each Synology performing a "Cloud Sync" to BackBlaze B2 so we'd have off-site backups, but for whatever reason, it would never complete large files (I had "Cloud Sync" set to pause during business hours). So I ended up removing the buckets and as of now, we have no off-site backups.

I think I want to simply rebuild everything from start. Can y'all make any suggestions/recommendations on how to best set this up? I assume it would probably be best for Veeam to not be running as a VM on a production system and only have one Veeam Backup Server and a Proxy Server (VM) at each location? Just not sure how to get the files to BackBlaze. It would be nice to have maybe 3 months of weekly backups on backblaze and then monthly backups for the remaining 9 months.

At one point I had thought about simply backing up to the opposite site since the offices are 70 miles apart and in different states
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: How to best setup Veeam?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Greetings!
- If VPN is stable and there are no connction drops, you shall be fine with single VBR server to protect both sites
- you can have Veeam on a VM, it won't make much difference, especially in Hyper-V environment
- you don't have to worry about Backup Proxy component either, as it is automatically deployed on top of each Hyper-V host added to console, that is, each HV Host will have a proxy on it by default
- you DO have to think about Mount Servers, NAS Gateway Servers and Guest Interaction Proxy Servers to optimize traffic paths though. Make sure to set them right on per-site basis to avoid unnecessary traffic loops between sites
- cross-site Backup Copy NAS<>NAS will work, but it is not ransomware proof, so Scale-Out Backup Repository per-site with Capacity Tier offloads to cloud object storage of choice would be a good way to harden your backup infrastructure one step up
/Hope that helps!