Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Fellensiek

How to change the IP address that Veeam uses to communicate with an EMC Data Domain

Post by HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo »

Our EMC data domain has three IP addresses:
The first one is for the NIC connected via 1Gbps used for accessing the web interface.
The second and third ones are for the 10Gbps NICs that should be used for the data flow.
Veeam was configured with the DNS name of the data domain, which originally resolved to the 1Gbps IP address.
Despite updating the DNS A record for the name, removing the 1Gbps address, replacing with one of the the 10Gb adresses,
Veeam is still using the original IP address of the 1Gbps interface, even many months and reboots later.
How can we get Veeam to (repeat the DNS lookup so it gets a fresh IP address) so that it uses the 10Gbps IP address instead?
We cannot "remove" the data domain from Veeam because a large number of jobs use it as a target, and I am unwilling to delete all those jobs just so the repository can be removed and re-added.
Is there a better way?

Also tried: two DNS A records for the name, with both IP addresses the 10Gbps interfaces. Deleted the A record for 1Gbps interface entirely.
username because using Nutanix Mine with Veeam
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Re: How to change the IP address that Veeam uses to communicate with an EMC Data Domain

Post by haslund »

Just to confirm, have you verified from both the Veeam Backup Server and the Veeam Mount Server by executing a command line 'ping' operation that the DNS resolves to the expected IP address? If so, I recommend opening a support case for our excellent team to investigate further.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
MarkBoothmaa
Veeam Legend
Liked: 49 times
Full Name: Mark Boothman

Re: How to change the IP address that Veeam uses to communicate with an EMC Data Domain

Post by MarkBoothmaa » 1 person likes this post

If you do a tracert to the 10Gbps IP which route does it go? I suspect the 1Gbps interface has the gateway set.

It may be as simple as adding a static route if you haven't already tried that.