Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AndreasHoster
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Andreas Hoster

How to do Backup Copy jobs without merge on the target repository?

Post by AndreasHoster »

Hello Readers,

is it possible, to generate a Backup Copy job, which does no merging on the target repository?
I would like a behaviour like the backup jobs:
Generating a full once a week (reading from the source backup), generating 6 incrementals, generating a full again ...
And when the maximum restore points are reached, it should wait until it can delete a full with its corresponding 6 incrementals.
After some Google-Fu and reading, I think that should be possible with a periodic copy job (pruning) and the option <Read the entire restore point from the source backup instead of synthesizing it from increments>. Is my reading correct?

And can I do that with an immediate copy job also?
I think no, because the option <Read the entire restore point from the source backup instead of synthesizing it from increments> is missing.
But I need some immediate copy jobs, because the periodic copy job doesn't can't copy SQL transaction logs.

Reason for that is, that I have a good bandwith to the copy repository, but the copy repository has a bad merge performance. And the additionally fulls are no problem, because of deduplication.

Thanks,
Andreas
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: How to do Backup Copy jobs without merge on the target repository?

Post by foggy »

Hi Andreas, your understanding is correct, the 'Read from source..." check box effectively switches the Periodic backup copy job from forever forward to a simple forward incremental mode with periodic fulls and it is not available for Immediate copy mode.