Gostev wrote:Not enough demand in the past 2.5 years to justify implementation.
TL;DR: possible pre-v9 and in v9.
Anton... Shouldn't be a feature request, this is just an oversight. Not being able to rename a Backup Proxy, in such a dynamic product, is just foolish.
How can you look at the following list and not be irked by it? When selecting proxies in a backup job the description is not even shown...
- VMware Backup Proxy
I wouldn't open a feature request for something like this, I just get frustrated and upset and in the end give up... It's one of those little gripe things.
At least v8 allowed you to work around this using standard operations:
- add the first backup server as a new managed Windows server, using FQDN,
- delete the default 'VMware Backup Proxy' (I'm thinking after changing the config backup to a new repository with a non-default name
- re-create a Proxy using the new managed server and name.
In v9 the first server is already listed using its FQDN, yet when deleting and re-creating the default Proxy Veeam still uses 'VMware Backup Proxy' for the name... -.- Unlike every other Proxy where the FQDN is used. Luckily you can still do it using SQL:
- Stop Veeam services, except for SQL.
- Use SQL Management Studio, edit table 'dbo.BackupProxies' and change the name to an FQDN.
- Start Veeam services.
Encountered it in a new installation, running backups off this newly named Proxy works, still need to test further.