Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
marcottt
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Marco Tonoli

How to restore large data from remote backup to remote host

Post by marcottt »

Hi all,

*i know there is some tread similar but have title erroneus so i think better start new one. if is a problem i will delete...*

i have this situation:

primary ced A: with many host, many nas and dedicated veeam windows server.
remote side B: with 1 host (HOST-B) and a remote NAS (NAS-B) and some windows VM server
(other remote site...)

as we know, if i start a restore from veeam console for a backup file from NAS-B to a VM server in HOST-B the data come from remote to central ced and go back... (correct?) this way is not praticable for large data. what is the best workaroud meanwhile veeam find solution?

solution a)

a1) install one V&B full server in every site
a2) do not create any job, only create a datastore pointing to the remote (local for him) NAS
a3) when need to recover, make refresh of datastore, open backup data, make local restore then (i suppose) detach from backup and wait for next time.

solution A) is a problem, need to manage multiple B&R installation, upgrade, often windows license because often i cannot installa B&R on windows server in use by other customer application for security...

solution b)

b1) make a restore with "other OS" option (work with windows file?)
b2) start a FLR on remote HOST-B
b3) ... and now ?? i think to use the FTP server option on remote FLR from a remote windows... but there is some other/better option to try ?

i think B solution is better, more complex the restore process for final customer but i don't neeed to request additional resource.... what is your restore process of remote file?

thanks
marco
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: How to restore large data from remote backup to remote h

Post by foggy »

marcottt wrote:b3) ... and now ?? i think to use the FTP server option on remote FLR from a remote windows... but there is some other/better option to try ?
The Other OS FLR process also provides the file browser window where you can copy necessary files and folders from the VM file system. Alternatively, yes, you can enable an FTP server on the virtual FLR appliance and recover through FTP.
marcottt wrote:i think B solution is better, more complex the restore process for final customer but i don't neeed to request additional resource.... what is your restore process of remote file?
Here's a good post with a couple of other ideas, worth reviewing.
marcottt
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Marco Tonoli

Post by marcottt »

Hi Foggy, thanks for your answer,
i already see the other tread but not useful... i'm concerning about
"The Other OS FLR process also provides the file browser window where you can copy necessary files and folders from the VM file system. Alternatively, yes, you can enable an FTP server on the virtual FLR appliance and recover through FTP"
yes but if i'm in central site ced and use the file browser windows for restore data from NAS-B to vm in site-B, the problem is the same :?: the data go from and to remote site?

Also, the ftp and the "other OS" flr has problem with non-us file name? i know also do not conserve permission but not rilevant in this case. If now is ok, can you tell e from which version has been fixed?

thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

marcottt wrote:yes but if i'm in central site ced and use the file browser windows for restore data from NAS-B to vm in site-B, the problem is the same :?: the data go from and to remote site?
No, in this case traffic will be kept local.
marcottt wrote:Also, the ftp and the "other OS" flr has problem with non-us file name? i know also do not conserve permission but not rilevant in this case. If now is ok, can you tell e from which version has been fixed?
As of v8, you can copy files with non-Latin characters using the "Copy To" option just fine (restore to the original location for Windows VMs is not supported). There are some special characters (* | \ / : " < > ?) that are replaced with "_" upon copying, though.