Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

How to Schedule a One-Off Incremental Backup

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com »

Hello,

I need to schedule a one-off incremental backup at 11 PM tonight for a physical server backed up by Veeam B&R. The standard incremental job runs at 8 but the admin in charge of the server is doing a major upgrade at midnight and requests an additional backup at 11 just in case he needs to roll back. I see the Quick Backup capability but it doesn't appear to be schedule-able from within Veeam B&R. I saw info about using PowerShell, however the Start-VBRQuickBackup command may not work on physical servers. I keep getting an error indicating:

"Cannot bind parameter 'VM'. Cannot convert the "<server_name> value of type "System.String" to type "Veeam.Backup.Core.IVmItem"

Any ideas? My PowerShell script is simply:

Add-PSSnapIn VeeamPSSNapin
Start-VBRQuickBackup -VM <server_name>
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: How to Schedule a One-Off Incremental Backup

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Tim!

Quick Backup can be triggered via PowerShell for virtual machines only.

What about to schedule a script based on Start-VBRJob cmdlet to run the job itself at 11 PM?

On the other hand, may be you can just change your regular schedule to perform a single job run at 11 PM instead of running it twice?
I think it could make sense as long as you know that no critical changes happen on the server between 8 PM and 11 PM.
You can revert schedule to initial configuration after server upgrade is done.

Thanks!
tthomas1@ebsco.com
Expert
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Tim Thomas

Re: How to Schedule a One-Off Incremental Backup

Post by tthomas1@ebsco.com » 1 person likes this post

Hi Pete! Thank you for the tip, the script command worked great! Just rescheduling the job would have worked too as you said, however I like the script approach as I can quickly and easily reuse it as needed. Thanks again!