Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mortenmadsen
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Morten Madsen

How to upgrade SOBR extents to Windwos 2019

Post by mortenmadsen »

I have a SOBR with with 3x Windows 2016 extends each with 1x 242TB REFS iSCSI volume.

I have been following the thread (veeam-backup-replication-f2/windows-201 ... 6-270.html) with all the REFS issues and it seams like now is the time to move to Windows 2019

We have veeam enterprise license so I limited in the amount of extends I can have. What would be the best method to replace the 3x Windows 2016 servers I currently have with 3x Windows 2019 servers without having to move all the data.

I was thinking about the following options:
  • In-place upgrade - I normally don't like in-place upgrades because it move difficult to do a rollback, but the REFS volume will be upgraded as soon as I attached it to a Windows 2019 server, so there is not easy way back to Windows 2016 anyway.
  • Install new Windwos 2019 servers and moving the iSCSI volumes, but how do I do that without breaking the SOBR?
Also I am using Windows device guard on the 3 servers, but I would just disable that before the change.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: How to upgrade SOBR extents to Windwos 2019

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Morten, I would go with an in-place upgrade, but you can also do the following to move the extents without moving the actual data.
mortenmadsen
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Morten Madsen

Re: How to upgrade SOBR extents to Windwos 2019

Post by mortenmadsen »

Thanks foggy, in-place upgrade went without any issues :D