Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
wa15
Veteran
Liked: 25 times

How would a Veeam server that's in a workgroup access domain joined servers?

Post by wa15 »

For security purposes, we have the Veeam server out of domain and in a workgroup.

When trying to configure credentials for a Veeam service account for application aware image processing, do we need to configure a local account on destination servers and have Veeam use that local account? I tried adding a domain credential on the Veeam B&R console, and Veeam seems to find the account (e.g. domain.local\service-account or service-account@domain.local) and saves it as a credential. However, I am not able to authenticate against the target server using the credentials in Veeam. I have confirmed the credentials work outside of Veeam.

Is this an expected behavior? Do I need to configure local accounts on all target servers for Veeam to utilize?
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Re: How would a Veeam server that's in a workgroup access domain joined servers?

Post by Regnor »

It should work to configure application aware processing with domain accounts, while running the Veeam server in a workgroup.
Which error did you receive?
wa15
Veteran

Re: How would a Veeam server that's in a workgroup access domain joined servers?

Post by wa15 »

Thanks. Just receiving a generic "invalid credentials" message. I verified the credentials are valid and have tried multiple domain admin credentials in DOMAIN\USER format.

The process I am following to add the credentials in Veeam is by clicking Add in the Manage Standard Credentails window, then Browse, entering the username I want to add. Followed by authentication to the domain, and I see the credentials resolving.

I also tried using domain credentials to add a vCenter server that's integrated with AD and it failed.

Any ideas?
wa15
Veteran

Post by wa15 » 1 person likes this post

SOLVED!

For some reason, when I was adding the username by "browsing" in the Veeam Credentials Console, the domain prefix was being modified from domain.local to domain and that was messing things up. Simply just typing in the domain name without "browsing" it against the domain resolved it!