Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bbricker
Enthusiast
Liked: 27 times

I'm dumb. Snapshot VB&R vm = storage full

Post by bbricker »

I'm dumb. I upgraded SQL on my VB&R vm server last Monday and did a snapshot before I started. Of course I forgot to remove the snapshot and now Saturday night rolls around and Veeam is doing full backups and the local 20TB datastore on the Dell server host where my Veeam backups live fills up and crashes. With no way of moving the 19TB vmdk and 1TB shapshot data to another location (nor the time), I reverted to my snapshot and lost a week of backup data. Luckily I copy all backup jobs to a off-site DR server, so not too worried about that aspect :wink:

My question- last Saturday, prior to this snapshot I made, I had run the Veeam provided Powershell script to reset CBT on all our vm's since I had just the week prior gotten all hosts up to ESX 6.0 update1a (or whatever it is). I had disabled the use of CBT in Veeam a month or two ago after all the issues came to light on our ESX 6.0 vanilla servers. So I did the CBT reset, then re-enabled CBT in Veeam, and let it run full backups. The next day I decided to upgrade SQL and did the snapshot.

Does the fact that I have just reverted back to a week old snapshot of my VB&R server (post CBT reset though) cause any concern for CBT stuff now? I'm not sure I am clear on where CBT data is stored/tracked or if reverting a VB&R server messes that up.

Hope that all makes sense.
bbricker
Enthusiast
Liked: 27 times

Re: I'm dumb. Snapshot VB&R vm = storage full

Post by bbricker »

I ended up running Active Full jobs. Not sure if that helps with the CBT data to be safe.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: I'm dumb. Snapshot VB&R vm = storage full

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you reset CBT data and ran an active full backup after that, then you should be fine now.