Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
denlun44
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dennis Lundkvist

Immutable option missing after update

Post by denlun44 »

Just recently upgraded to v12 and had been eyeing the immutable option for a while but put off enabling it until after upgrading to v12.
But to my surprise and consternation the option is now nowhere to be found.

I am running multiple Ubuntu 20.04 servers in multiple Scale Out Storage Clusters, all with fast cloning XFS and they are all "hardened".
The backup jobs are all forward incrementals with periodical fulls. All the backup copy jobs are GFS.

The option was just under the "Use fast cloning on XFS" and now it's not. Am I missing something?

/dennis
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Immutable option missing after update

Post by Mildur »

Hi Dennis

To have a immutable repository in V12, you need to have added your repository with single use credentials (not root) as a new repository type "hardened". If you had used user "root" or a non-immutable Linux repository in v11, this repository wasn't upgraded to a "hardened repository" in V12.

You can migrate a Linux repository to a Hardened repository following this user guide:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... repository

If you had a hardened repository, but with user "root", then you have to follow our kb article:
https://www.veeam.com/kb4348

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
denlun44
Novice

Post by denlun44 »

Ok, but since I surmised that the upgrade procedure would require updating the proxy/agents on the repos (they were all hardened) I set the credentials to a "normal" login and after the update was complete I "re-hardened" with a single-use credential.
And these are Ubuntu boxen, so root is disabled.
So not sure what's going on. Can I check if the repos are considered hardened?
denlun44
Novice

Post by denlun44 »

Ok, I think I got it, that means my methodology of changing to normal credentials on the repos before the update is what put me in this situation. Sigh.
And just setting a single-use credential isn't going to convince anyone that it's actually a hardened repo. Dang.