Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Valle1975
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Valerio

Import secondary Veeam B&R Server to Existing Primary Installation

Post by Valle1975 »

Hi to everyone.
Now I have n.2 VB&R Server installation, both v.9.5Update4, one used for Backup and Replica of Vmware infrastructure and the other one dedicated only for all Veeam Agent FREE for Windows backup Jobs (about 50).
The problem is that last installation (VR&R server for Veeam Agent) is on my desktop PC, so I want to trasfer it to the main VB&R Server ( in Vmware VM) for manage everything from a single console and free my PC of this load.
So the two installation must be merged to one, without losing nothing.
Is it possible??
What is your suggested way to do this??
Thanks a lot!
Bye.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Import secondary Veeam B&R Server to Existing Primary Installation

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Valerio.

You can move backup files to a new location and reconfigure 50 free agents to a new destination, however from usability standpoint that is a tremendous amount of manual work.

Ideally, you want to add Veeam Universal Licenses to your existing installation and shift unmanaged free agents into managed Workstation mode:
- that will give you centralized management across the infrastructure(agent deployment, updates, config etc)
- changing destination(or other options like schedule, notifications email etc) of all agents will be possible with a few clicks, saving tons of admin time
- of course, that comes at a cost - depending on your current licensing scheme, cheapest option would be Veeam Backup Essentials Subscription(4 packs to cover 50 machines) which will cost around 1300 euro total. I would suggest contacting local Veeam Reseller to check for options and prices.
- One technical caveat here, is that switching Free agent into Managed agent will make Backup Mapping impossible, that is, Agents will start new backup chain. That is a one-time event though, and for the future changes existing chains could be reused.

Hope that helps!