Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
omerlin98000
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: never
Full Name: Olivier Merlin

Impossible to delete proxy/managed server

Post by omerlin98000 »

Hello to all :)

Using B&R v7 (latest .871), I am unable to delete an old proxy/managed server that have been used by certain jobs, but removed from these jobs after :

Example 1:

I have also another old proxy that I cannot delete because used by at least 5 jobs... but this is not the case anymore if I check these jobs one by one (they do use explicit proxies, but the old one is not appearing in the list).

Seems that the job still has the old used proxy in memory: how to get rid of that ?
If I need to delete the backup job (and perhaps also its linked backup copy job), I hope I have not to recreate all from scratch... ? (is there a way to "seed" from old backup repository ?

Best regards,
Olivier
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Impossible to delete proxy/managed server

Post by foggy »

Olivier, please contact technical support. They will be able to cleanup old records from the database. Thanks.
omerlin98000
Veeam ProPartner

Post by omerlin98000 »

Case 00647029 opened, thanks foggy :)
omerlin98000
Veeam ProPartner

Post by omerlin98000 »

Problem solved by deleting all the jobs (as per support request/suggestion).
I had also:
- to change the proxy for a remote repository, I leaved the 0.12 server (one of the two to be deleted) as a proxy repository by mistake (one of the reasons I couldn't delete it :oops: )
- to rescan all repositories, because I still had the same errors after deleting jobs without doing this
Then, 0.5 and 0.12 have been deleted with success.

Now, the problem is that I have to redo the backup copy jobs FROM SCRATCH WITHOUT SEEDING with the old backup copy files (which are still present on my remote repository).
I found this KB to do this: http://www.veeam.com/kb1856, I will have to use a little NAS to move files to the remote site :?
Should be useful if, in the future, that we could seed a backup copy job with other old backup copy jobs files ;)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Olivier, I'm glad you could successfully resolve the original issue. Could you please elaborate on why do you need to perform backup copy jobs from scratch and cannot use existing backups to seed them?
omerlin98000
Veeam ProPartner

Post by omerlin98000 »

For sure! :D

My Veeam server and its repository is a remote VM on a remote site.
It launch backup through a main proxy in the main site, to a main NAS.
Then it launch backup copy from these main backup job/main NAS to its local Windows drive (D: and E:) through a limited WAN (4 to 8 Mbps).
All worked flawlessly.

I had to delete all backup and backup copy jobs because of the problem you know.
I recreate new backup jobs this Sunday, the main proxy creates new directories in the main NAS: all first full backups worked perfectly.

Now, I have to recreate the backup copy jobs to the remote site.
What I wanted to do was seeding new backup copy jobs with the mostly up-to-date content of my D: end E: old backup copies jobs (before deleting old datas).
Seems it's not possible...

If my english is not completely understandable (I'm French ;) ), ask what you need, perhaps also a schema...
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

omerlin98000 wrote:What I wanted to do was seeding new backup copy jobs with the mostly up-to-date content of my D: end E: old backup copies jobs (before deleting old datas).
Seems it's not possible...
Have you tried that and were not able to do that? Basically, you can map the newly created backup copy job to existing backup chain created by previous backup copy job, there should not be any issues with that.
omerlin98000
Veeam ProPartner

Post by omerlin98000 »

Whooops, I was searching for a seed option, just miss/forget the map option! :oops:
Will re-check that quickly...

Las thing about your clever solution: I have re-thought the backup jobs.
I had 6 separate jobs (on VM per job), not so efficient.
I recreated backup jobs yesterday, grouping some VM (AD01+AD02, SRV002+SRV004, but EXCH and SRV003 are still standalone backup): do it make a difference for my new backup copy jobs, if the old one were totally separated? For instance, in my remote repository D:, I have two distinct directories for AD01 and AD02, but the new backup copy job should have only one directory AD01+AD02 right? Is it compatible with the mapping solution you suggest?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can map it to one of the jobs, not to both of them. However, what you could do to combine them, is create a couple of dummy backup jobs (one per directory AD01 and AD02) and map them to the corresponding files (created by previous backup copy jobs). Then create new local backup copy job adding both newly created dummy jobs as a source, this job will generate a combined VBK. Then you can map the remote baсkup copy job to this VBK.
omerlin98000
Veeam ProPartner

Post by omerlin98000 »

clever again! :D
will try it... but if I remember well, AD01 is a little one to redo from scratch, so perhaps I will map to AD02 old backup copy job.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This would also work. Keep us posted on how it is going.