Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
verre
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

In case of death of Veeam Server in primary-site

Post by verre »

Hello, I have a question. In the event that the production-site dies and with him also died Veeam B&R Server (hosted in a vm), how can I start the failover procedure in the dr-site? Do I have to manually turn on the vm? Is it a good idea to replicate the Veeam B&R Server itself and then start it manually and through him, proceed with the failover of the other vm? Or do you recommend a better procedure to design the replication infrastructure?
Thank you.
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Re: In case of death of Veeam Server in primary-site

Post by vClintWyckoff » 2 people like this post

Valentino-
There are a few ways to achieve the goal.

1.) Install Veeam Console at DR Site and run replication jobs from here, this is best practice. This way in the event of a DR scenario at HQ Site you can quickly get into the DR Veeam Server and use the Veeam Console to bring up VMs, Re-IP, Individual FLR...etc.
2.) Use vCenter to power on VMs at the given restore point - this way would require you to manually re-ip everything to work at DR.

You also want to make sure that you're getting your Veeam Configuration Database backup offsite as well. Out of the box Veeam saves the config backup to the c:\backups directory. You should move this to an offsite repository, so in the event of a failed Veeam server you could stand up a new Windows box and re-import your config to get all of your old job configuration back.

Note, you do not need the configuration to perform restores. You can use the extract.exe utility or import those VBK / VIB / VRB files into your DR Veeam Server and restore.
verre
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Valentino Erre

Re: In case of death of Veeam Server in primary-site

Post by verre »

Yes, thank you for the tips!!!!