Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sandroalves
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sandro da Silva Alves

Incremental forward forward on the secundary target

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

In my primary job I use a volume without deduplication from windows and the type of backup is forever forward incremental.

When I configure a (Secundary Target) to store on another volume and activate GFS to store the weekly and monthly ones does this mean that the type of backup in (Secundary Target) is a simple incremental?

If the answer is: yes it is a simple incremental. Then I can enable windows deduplication.

If the answer is: it is not an incremental forever like the first one, I will have problems with space consumption.

I was reading the subject Forever Forward Incremental and says that if the forever forward incremental backup chain resides on a deduplicating storage appliance, Veeam Backup & Replication does not reuse empty data blocks of the full backup file. Instead, Veeam Backup & Replication appends data from the first incremental backup file in the chain to the full backup file. As a result, the backup chain may consume more * disk space on the appliance *.

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Incremental forward forward on the secundary target

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
a simple incremental?
when you activate GFS, then there will be full backups (weekly, monthly, whatever you configure). That's the opposite of forever forward incremental.

But using windows deduplication works in all modes. Whether Windows deduplication is useful, that's another story (dedupe ratio is low without full backups).
I was reading the subject Forever Forward Incremental and says that if the forever forward incremental backup chain resides on a deduplicating storage appliance,
please note that forever forward incremental is not supported for most deduplication appliances (especially HPE StoreOnce and EMC DataDomain). So you have no choice anyways on these boxes.

I'm not sure what repository you are really using: if windows, then I recommend REFS without Windows deduplication. No need to think about other options.

Best regards,
Hannes
sandroalves
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sandro da Silva Alves

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

I'm using a Windows volume on ReFS.

I want to use Windows deduplication on this secondary volume where I will store the weekly and monthly backups.

You confirmed to me that when I activate GFS it automatically means simple backup on my secondary.

The documentation mentions a problem with deduplication with backup forever, so I understand that I can use and evaluate whether it will be useful or not.

Whether it will be useful or not we only know in practice!

Thanks.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

I want to use Windows deduplication on this secondary volume where I will store the weekly and monthly backups.
that is possible with the reg key that was discussed in the forum thread you also answered veeam-backup-replication-f2/refs-3-0-an ... 56658.html

The documentation is talking about something different. Inline deduplication appliances work different than post-deduplication technology like Windows deduplication.