Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pufferdude
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Jim

initial replication across WAN fails

Post by pufferdude »

I am trying my first replication of a 150GB (with only about 60GB of actual data) Exchange 2007 server across our 6Mbps WAN link to a remote site. I am using VMware Storage API Network mode to replicate the VM from one ESX4 U1 host local to the Veeam server to another ESX4 U1 server across the WAN.

Consistently, the replication always fails at exactly 1.8GB with the following error:

"Client error: Connection reset by peer Unable to retrieve next block transmission command. Number of already processed blocks: [2091]. Server error: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host Failed to process VM disk backup."

I have repeated the attempt at least six times, and it ALWAYS fails at exactly 1.8GB transferred. I don't think this is a problem with veeam itself, but I come here hoping someone might have some suggestions. My first thought was that my firewall(s) might be closing the connection after a certain period of time or x amount of data transferred, but I have no way to know if that's the case. I DID go ahead and set TCP timeouts on both firewalls to the max time limit, but it didn't have any effect.

Any idea why my replications keep failing with the above error at exactly the same spot each time? The error says the "forcibly closed by the remote host..." Does this imply my ESX host at the remote site is the culprit? And if so, what would I change on it to fix the problem? Any advice appreciated!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: initial replication across WAN fails

Post by Gostev »

Might be the same issue as described in this thread:
Problems with making replication work across a WAN/VPN?