Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sunnydays
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sunny

Inline Dedupe / Compression

Post by sunnydays »

Hi,

We are planning to complete a 7 day Forever Forward backup to NAS and a Backup Copy Job for GFS to deduplication device (7 day retention + 4 weeklys)

1. Just wondering if its possible to have Inline Deduplication and Compression enabled on a backup job. Then have a Backup Copy Job with Incline Deduplication and Compression OFF? Am I just wasting time and should just leave all options from the beginning?

2. The Deduplication device will most likely be a Quantum DXi4700 and mounted as a CIFS Respository. How does the above work if I enable "Decompress backup data blocks before storing" on the repository?

Thanks
Sunny
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Inline Dedupe / Compression

Post by veremin »

1. Just wondering if its possible to have Inline Deduplication and Compression enabled on a backup job. Then have a Backup Copy Job with Incline Deduplication and Compression OFF?
Possible. However, traffic-wise it's recommended to leave compression enabled even if "Decompress backup data blocks before storing" option is enabled. More information can be found here.
How does the above work if I enable "Decompress backup data blocks before storing" on the repository?
Target datamover running on a server specified as a gateway server for CIFS repository will decompress data before it lands on the repository.

Thanks.
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Post by mongie »

I never really understood what that option was talking about, but now it makes sense, and I can't believe we haven't been using it!

Just so I'm not going crazy, I will re-ask the same question.

We have two tiers of backup storage. Primary backups go onto an Equallogic Cluster, and are then "Backup-Coppied" to a Dell DR4100. Should I take the above answer to mean, if I enable compression on my primary backup jobs and backup copies, and enable the "Decompress backup data blocks before storing" on the DR4100, that in the process of backup-copy to dr4100, it will actually remove the compression, allowing the DR4100 to dedupe as much as possible? (lot of commas there, sorry.)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, data will be decompressed prior to be written to the backup copy job target storage.
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Post by mongie »

I've only been using veeam for 3-4 years, and this never occurred to me.

Oh dear.
sunnydays
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sunny

Post by sunnydays »

v.Eremin wrote:Target datamover running on a server specified as a gateway server for CIFS repository will decompress data before it lands on the repository.
Hi Guys, thanks for the response! Can I get clarification on what a gateway server is? Are you referring to a WAN Accelerator?
The Backup Copy Job will be from NAS to Quantum within the same site. So I could only imagine by enabling this on the CIFS respository, the proxy will "Decompress" the data before it writes to the repository?

@Mongie Glad the question has helped you too! :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

That's what I was talking about. Server that runs data mover in case of CIFS share being used. Thanks.