Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Instant Recovery survive VBR reboot?

Post by soncscy » 1 person likes this post

Heya all,

Just was hoping for some confirmations that v11 seems to have some handling for Veeam infrastructure reboots that maybe it didn't have before?

I had a question from a client who had an Instant Disk recovery running for some time and then decided to just reboot their all in one VBR server. I was prepping for them to tell me we had to find a way to recover data, but to my surprise, they said that it seemed to handle the reboot okay?!

I tested this myself and set my lab VBR quick to be the mount server and host the IRCache for an Instant Disk recovery, started an Instant Disk Recovery, and then force rebooted the lab machine.

Results:
- Disk stayed attached to the VM
- Once rebooted, Veeam seemed to resume the instant disk recovery without issue.

This was a bit of a surprise for me to be honest; I just tested with a dummy VM as it was late, but maybe before I waste time on testing someone from Veeam can tell us:

1. What is the impact of an All in One Veeam appliance rebooting during Instant Disk Recovery? Instant Recovery?
2. Is there a list of Veeam components which absolutely must __not__ be rebooted during Instant Recovery Processes? (VM or Disk)?
3. I thought I recall that Database Publishing can survive various reboots without impact; is it the same technology that kept my Instant Disk Recovery alive?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Instant Recovery survive VBR reboot?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
instant recovery survives reboots / crashes. That's correct.

In V11 we fixed some bugs that caused issues in earlier versions.

Database publishing and Instant database recovery use the similar technology (iSCSI / FUSE). Instant disk / VM recovery uses vPower in the background.

For instant database recovery (you didn't ask for that, but I assume it's interesting) we described it in the What's new document.
What's New wrote:Unlike the interactive Publish functionality, database instant recovery uses a service-based architecture
and does not depend on the Veeam Explorer™ user interface running. And should any backup infrastructure
component reboot during the instant recovery, the Instant Recovery conveyor will automatically recover
itself when all required servers come back online (in case of extended outages longer than one hour, you
can resume the instant recovery manually using the Veeam Explorer UI)
Best regards,
Hannes