Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
conradblack
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Instant VM Recovery with Exchange?

Post by conradblack »

Heyo,

I've been playing around with instant VM recovery, and i've read/seen that it creates a snapshot when it spins up the new VM. I want to be able to use this feature to restore an Exchange server...Now i'm aware that snapshots are not supported for Exchange, and instant VM recovery automatically creates a snapshot.

Will this cause any issues for me when using instant VM recovery to restore an Exchange server? Is it possible to use this feature for restoring Exchange?

Thank you.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Instant VM Recovery with Exchange?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello conradblack,
Thats not correct. During Instant VM recovery VM image is mounted to host directly from a compressed and deduplicated backup file, so you can use it for VM Exchange. Kindly, check the Veeam Help Center: Instant VM Recovery
orangep7
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: James Serjeant

Post by orangep7 »

Exchange is heavily integrated into AD and restoring an entire Exchange Server VM using Veeam can break AD. Do not do this!!

Instead, perform a recovery-mode installation of your Exchange server and ONLY use Veeam to restore the data (i.e. databases).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

conradblack wrote:Now i'm aware that snapshots are not supported for Exchange, and instant VM recovery automatically creates a snapshot.
Aside from the fact that IR does not use snapshots (unless VM changes redirection is enabled), the first part of this statement is also incorrect. During backup/replication, Veeam B&R uses VSS to properly quiesce Exchange prior to taking the VM level snapshot (i.e. performs "application-aware" image processing), which is not done when simply taking a VM snapshot via vSphere client. There's a good discussion about snapshot support for Exchange Servers, worth reviewing.
orangep7 wrote:Exchange is heavily integrated into AD and restoring an entire Exchange Server VM using Veeam can break AD. Do not do this!!
Enabling application-aware image processing during the backup ensures successful Exchange VM recovery without any data loss. Did you happen to experience any issues regarding that?
orangep7
Influencer

Post by orangep7 »

Using application-aware image processing when restoring an entire Exchange VM will not protect against introducing AD issues.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

orangep7 wrote:Using application-aware image processing when restoring an entire Exchange VM will not protect against introducing AD issues.
Care to provide proof or any details to backup your statement?
orangep7
Influencer

Post by orangep7 »

An identical risk applies to restoring a DC, i.e. don't blindly restore a DC VM from backup otherwise you can break AD.

Exchange is too AD-integrated to risk restoring an entire VM from backup. Instead you should rely upon Exchange's native recovery tools and JUST use Veeam to restore databases/mailboxes etc. This doesn't mean Veeam isn't capable of restoring the whole VM, it certainly is, but Veeam cannot help recover a broken AD which is the risk you take.

If you still need convincing, then head over to MSExchange.org and check out the recent webinar 'Virtualizing MS Exchange Without Losing Control' and you'll find your 'proof' :lol:
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Post by chrisdearden » 1 person likes this post

An identical risk applies to restoring a DC, i.e. don't blindly restore a DC VM from backup otherwise you can break AD.
have you read this ? http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-re ... t7000.html
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

orangep7 wrote:Using application-aware image processing when restoring an entire Exchange VM will not protect against introducing AD issues.
Actually, Veeam B&R application-specific restore techniques do right that, both for Exchange Server and DC.
chrisdearden wrote:have you read this ? http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-re ... t7000.html
That's a huge one, Chris! I'd rather refer to this pretty ancient but still applicable blog post instead.
lobo519
Veteran
Liked: 38 times

Post by lobo519 »

orangep7 wrote:An identical risk applies to restoring a DC, i.e. don't blindly restore a DC VM from backup otherwise you can break AD.

Exchange is too AD-integrated to risk restoring an entire VM from backup. Instead you should rely upon Exchange's native recovery tools and JUST use Veeam to restore databases/mailboxes etc. This doesn't mean Veeam isn't capable of restoring the whole VM, it certainly is, but Veeam cannot help recover a broken AD which is the risk you take.

If you still need convincing, then head over to MSExchange.org and check out the recent webinar 'Virtualizing MS Exchange Without Losing Control' and you'll find your 'proof' :lol:

If your going to go around repeating "Exchange to too AD-Integrated.." you better backup your statements and not direct to a webinar from 2 weeks ago.

I see Veeam was a presenter on your source and would love to see their response to these comments.
orangep7
Influencer

Post by orangep7 »

Have you actually viewed the webinar...if you do then you'll hear both an Exchange MVP and a Veeam Systems Manager explain this very topic very eloquently. :D

I have no axe to grind with Veeam, I use Veeam to protect my own Exchange environment but I'm just trying to help other Exchange Admins avoid a potentially damaging but wholly avoidable Exchange DR scenario. Veeam has a broad range of features, it's an amazing product but you have to appreciate that not all of Veeam's features fit every DR scenario.