Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

internet bandwith - wan accelerator

Post by frankive »

We have a few customer having 0,4 - 0,5 Mbps upload speed. While using some other backup vendor (just files, sql) the backup goes pretty nice. With Veeam, it won't just have enough bandwith since this is imagebased. I also use Wan Accelerator but even with that configured it will always be a few gigabytes to upload each night.
So my approach is to have a monthly Veeam backup local, and the using 3 part backp provider with the files changes and sql changes.

Any view on this? What is the few gigabytes in change in Veeam image each day? is it on the c: primarliy? Could I perhaps exclude the c-drive after the first full backup or is that a bad approach?

I have of course tried to find all the possibilites to upgrade his Internetconnection but they are so out of nowhere so this is the max upload bandwith they can get.

Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: internet bandwith - wan accelerator

Post by Gostev »

System drive has little changes, so excluding it makes no sense. Just create a new test Windows VM and add it into some job, boot into OS and let the VM sit idle for a few days - you will see that the incremental backups will be very small. And that's regular backup job - WAN accelerated backup copy will further reduce this amount by at least 10x and more (according to my observations of our interal deployment, those nearly idle VMs get the best data reduction ratios).

What daily change amount are we talking on the file level?

Thanks.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Re: internet bandwith - wan accelerator

Post by frankive »

It should be max 2-300 MB of changes. I think it could be related to another post I have where 2012 R2 is not detcted and since it has gone 1 week since the seed we are now up to a few gigabytes. Hopefullt the hotfix for 2012 R2 and wan accelerator is the key to this.