Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fritz.treitinger
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Fritz Treitinger

Is there a way to split SQL server backup into few jobs?

Post by fritz.treitinger »

hello folks,

I am not sure if such similar problem has already been mentioned here: we have a dedicated MS SQL server for a erp system for our franchise partners, as every franchise partner is a single database there are far over 1.500 databases in the default instance on this machine yet. and thats just half the truth as the migration process from the old erp version is only done half the way. (was no ms sql before, but some file-based-pervasive-thingy if I recall correct)
now it looks like sql vss writer gets some trouble handling that amount of databases within time. we do not success backing up that single server within a veeam backup job. as we have not found another solution, we kept the old symantec backup just for this one situation.
now I just have two questions:

1) does one here have a similar situation and what was the solution? or did the problem not occur the same way on similar starting position?

2) is there a possibility to split the db backup job into multiple jobs and work with wildcards and likes on the database names? my hope would be that with splitting up, the vss gets only notified about the relevant db's and will succeed putting them in consistent state within time frame...
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Is there a way to split SQL server backup into few jobs?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I see two possible solutions in your situation:

1. Use database exclusions and split your job into multiple smaller jobs.
2. Utilize pre-job script that can trigger MSSQL native backup tools to backup databases one by one in a desired order and time period. After all SQL backups are done and placed to a separate virtual drive perform a backup of that drive.

Since it seems to be a VSS related issue please take a look at this article.

Btw, do you have any errors in logs (both Windows/Veeam)?

Thank you.