Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
micros
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Rosén

Item Level(AD,Exchange,SQL) restore to untrusted domain

Post by micros »

Hi,
We are looking into using Veeam for our hosting business and it so far looks like a very good candidate.
But, I have a question.

We use Hyper-V 2016 for virtualization and are hosting a lot of different customer domains on this platform.
The Veeam server(s) will be joined to the same domain as our Hyper-V hosts so the backup of VM's and AD,SQL etc. should not be a problem.

But when it comes to restore, is it possible for us to restore for example an AD object directly to a customers domain from our Veeam server?
I know we can fully restore a VM and VHD-files but what about "Item Level" restore?
The customers domains and networks are isolated from our hosting domain and network so no network communication from the Veeam server to the customers domain/network.

We could of course open up some firewall ports into the customers domain/network for our Veeam server which I suppose would be necessary but I haven't found any good info on how this should work from a hosters perspective.
This is right now the only "dealbreaker" that stops us from proceeding so I hope to get some answers, even if it's not possible we at least need to know.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Item Level(AD,Exchange,SQL) restore to untrusted domain

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Michael and welcome to the community!
micros wrote:But when it comes to restore, is it possible for us to restore for example an AD object directly to a customers domain from our Veeam server?
The customers domains and networks are isolated from our hosting domain and network so no network communication from the Veeam server to the customers domain/network.
You can perform item-level recovery only if you have a network connection with the following permissions.
micros wrote:We could of course open up some firewall ports into the customers domain/network for our Veeam server which I suppose would be necessary but I haven't found any good info on how this should work from a hosters perspective.
Please, review Used Ports for item-level restores of AD, SQL and Exchange.
Do not hesitate to ask additional questions. Thanks!