Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rrabik
Novice
Liked: never

Job has failed unexpectedly

Post by rrabik »

Hi,
I already have a support ticket open ID#530152 but I am trying to get a solution from the community if they have come across this error.
Veeam support has already tested this in their enviroment and didn't see any error but for me I have done all I could be I still get "Job has failed unexpectedly" error. May be I missed some steps.
Here is what is happening.
I did clean install of Veeam 4.1.2 on server 2008 R2 Enterprise virtual server and has 4 cpu cores. I have virtual SQL 2005 server standard SP3 64 bit.
Installation goes fine. Once installation is finished, it creates VeeamBackup db. I have a domain account called veeam which has "db_owner" role membership to VeeamBackup db.
I have opened all necessary ports in SQL server.
Now when I run a new replication job I get a status message as stopped and last result as error. When I view Realtime statistics I see "Job has failed unexpectedly" message. But after few seconds the job runs perfectly fine. While the job is running the status is still stopped with error. It doesn't show the transfer rate. Once the job is finished the status is stopped and last result column show success.
I have reinstalled OS couple time and did all testing I can think of. Even when I disable firewall on veeam server, sql server, and vcenter server I still get this error.
Has anyone had this issue and how have you solved it?
thanks - Rabi
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Job has failed unexpectedly

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Rabi,

It sounds like there is an issue with SQL Server, as all job configurations, statistics is stored there. Could you please tell if you had a chance of using another remote SQL Server in test purposes to see if this issue confirms? By the way what is the current load on your SQL 2005 VM?

Thanks!
rrabik
Novice

Post by rrabik »

Hi Vitaliy,
I only have SQL 2000 but I got an error when installing Veeam when pointing to sql 2000 database. So I couldn't test it. There is no load on my SQL 2005 server. I only have Vcenter database on it which is working fine. There are no error logs or events error on SQL 2005 server.
When you say that it sounds like there is an issue with SQL server, I am not sure what issue could it have. The only issue I can think of is firewall issue. I can rule that out as I tested running the replication job by disabling the firewall and still get the same error.
If you have a look at the support ticket, I had mentioned that I had used the same SQL 2005 server with firewall enabled when I had ver 4.1.1 installed on a different virtual server and I didn't have any issue previously. Only when I started using ver 4.1.2 i started seeing this error.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Rabi,

The reason why you see the error while connecting to SQL Server 2000 is that this version is not supported as per our release notes.

I've just looked through your support ticket including all log files, as far as I see there are intermittent connection link drops, so as a part of further troubleshooting I would recommend to install SQL 2005 Express on the remote VM and use this SQL for Veeam Backup and Replication server. This would help us to nail down the issue with the wrong status being reported.

Here is a blog post that describes how to enable remote connections for SQL Server Express:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlexpress/arch ... 15084.aspx

Thank you!
rrabik
Novice

Post by rrabik »

Hi Vitaliy,
Please see the lastest log files which I had sent few days ago. There are no messages related to connection drops. Even the support person wrote me that he didn't see anything. The one you saw were from the time when I had restarted my SQL server.
I will try with sql 2005 express.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, please. It sounds like there is something specific in your environemnt, which causes those issues. Looking forward to seeing the results. Thanks!