Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Pegas519
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Eric Gilbert

Job times out 23hrs later, instead of failing right away.

Post by Pegas519 »

Case# 02609887

Could someone please tell me why my job timed out 23hrs later instead of failing right away during a file lock event.

Timeline:

-Veeam backup starts on Feb 9 22:00, and finish at Feb 10, 10:00 - this is a very late finish time, it usually finishes no later than 05:00 - Starts robocopy at 10:04:03.
- Veeam backup job starts on schedule on Feb 10, at 22:00
Veeam realize that files were locked due to our robocopy script that is lunched at the end of the Veeam Job, earlier that day at 10:04.
- What should have happened here, is the job to fail, and try 30 minutes later, as per our job configuration for the automatic retry. it should retry 4 times, every 30 minutes.
- The Robocopy job ends successfully on Feb 10, at 22:31.
- The Veeam Job hangs for 23hrs and the job fails on Feb 11, 21:04, giving it a retry (1) at Feb 11, 21:34 and finishes successfully on Feb 12, at 15:36.

Why was the first job hang for 23hrs instead of failing right away? The support guy cannot answer giving the run around where it is by design that the job will time out after 23hrs. I am not disputing that. What I want to know is why did it time out instead of failing right away. I have seen consistently an immediate failure of the job and a retry ~30 minutes apart, as per job configuration. Why was this time different?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Job times out 23hrs later, instead of failing right away

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Eric,

thanks for the questions. Based on the support case our support found another root cause that blocked the specific VM from processing. Please let us here or in the support case know if this was not the correct root cause.
Thanks Andy