Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
fafa24
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Just switching to Veeam

Post by fafa24 »

Hi All,

This is my first post in this forum. We just ordered today Enterprise+ license. We are going to switch to Veeam from Backup Exec. With Veeam we are also going to change our backup environment moving from tape backup to disk backup. We will buy 2 Windows servers with plenty of disks capacity. One windows server (Veeam software and repository) will be in our premises and the other one will be in a data center. We might still use tapes of archiving purpose. The backup copy job will run over the internet to the data center. We need to backup 4 ESXi hosts and two physical server (Veeam Endpoint). Our virtual environment is a Dell Blade with 4 blade servers and a blade insert Equalogix datastore.

I was reading Best practice guide and a bit the manual, but there are still some questions left. :)

- Will I need to install on the server in the data center only the proxy agent and the WAN accelerator or the backup program too?
- I'm not sure which ports need to be open on the firewall in the data center to perform backup copy.
-On premises should the backup proxy be ideally placed on a VM inside the environment for the best performance else I think backup will be performed LAN only.

I think that's it for the moment.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Just switching to Veeam

Post by foggy »

Hello and welcome to the community.
fafa24 wrote:- Will I need to install on the server in the data center only the proxy agent and the WAN accelerator or the backup program too?
Additional Veeam B&R console at the datacenter will be advisable only if you're planning to run replication jobs as well. Making the DR site's console responsible for replication jobs allows for automated failover/failback procedures from Veeam B&R UI in case of DR. Other than that, you do not need a separate Veeam B&R installation there, proxy/repository/WAN accelerator components are sufficient.
fafa24 wrote:- I'm not sure which ports need to be open on the firewall in the data center to perform backup copy.
All the required ports are listed in the corresponding user guide section.
fafa24 wrote:-On premises should the backup proxy be ideally placed on a VM inside the environment for the best performance else I think backup will be performed LAN only.
What kind of primary storage do you have (where your VMs reside)? If it is just a local host's storage, then making VM residing on each of the hosts to act as proxy is the most recommended approach.
fafa24
Enthusiast

Post by fafa24 »

All VMs are on a Equalogic storage which is a blade insert.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Then you can also consider using direct SAN transport mode.
fafa24
Enthusiast

Post by fafa24 »

Hello,

I'm not totally sure which ports we need to open at the firewall of the source server and target server.

The doc for the WAN accelerator says 6160, 6161, 6162.6164 and 6165. What about the Ports 2500 to 5000 mentioned for backup repository at the source and target. Would we just need to open for example port 2500 and 2501?

Thanks,
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

The doc for the WAN accelerator says 6160, 6161, 6162.6164 and 6165
Correct.
What about the Ports 2500 to 5000 mentioned for backup repository at the source and target.
The range from 2500 to 5000 is required.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Dima P. wrote:The range from 2500 to 5000 is required.
No, not really - at least not all of them (at least not always). Basically, each concurrent job takes the first available port sequentially, so first job will take 2500, second 2501, third 2502 etc. Thus, in most case a few dozens of ports after 2500 is more than enough.

Also, note that these ports are used for DIRECT mode only (direct communication between source and target data movers on proxy and repository respectively), so you don't need to open them between WAN accelerators.
fafa24
Enthusiast

Post by fafa24 »

Thanks for the clarification. just to be sure I understand totally. You mean to run a backup copy job from ONSITE Veeam to OFFSITE Veeam we don't need to open ports 2500, 2501 etc?

I need to contact my security guys to open the ports on the ONSITE Firewall. I like to omit asking to open for ports which are not really used.

Thanks,
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

Hi,
You mean to run a backup copy job from ONSITE Veeam to OFFSITE Veeam we don't need to open ports 2500, 2501 etc?
Please see the schemas below

OPTION 1 (utilizes WANs):

REPO A <====(2500-5000)====> WANacc. <====(6164,6165)====> WANacc. <====(2500-5000)====>REPO B

OPTION 2 (no WANs):

REPO A <========(2500-5000)========> REPO B

Also don't forget about ports 6160,6161,6162,6164 between WANs and Backup Server.

Please let me know if any questions persist.

Thank you.
fafa24
Enthusiast

Post by fafa24 »

Thank you for your clarification.

After I opened port 6160-6165 on both Firewall source and targets I was able to create a repository on the target site and set up the WAN acceleterator on both sites. However after I created a backup copy job and run it, it says "cannot connect to target repository". I defined data transfer through WAN acclearator. I even opened later ports 2501 - 2505 with no luck. I understand the ports are not needed with WAN accelerator.

Any idea why the job cannot connect to the target repository?

Thanks,
fafa24
Enthusiast

Post by fafa24 » 2 people like this post

I fixed it!! I needed to open port 2500-2505 and the target firewall and not 2501-2505.