Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

kb1744 (increased heartbeat)

Post by trackstar »

Hello,

Months ago when we first implemented the mailbox servers backup (2 servers in a DAG), we had to increase the heartbeat per KB1744. Followed the KB and it fixed our issue with the node frequently switching to the secondary.

We are finally implementing backup for our 2 other servers (both with HUB/CAS roles). Is there such thing as extending the heartbeat or similar configuration for these front end servers? Just making sure I don't have any surprises. :mrgreen:

Thanks,
TS
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: kb1744 (increased heartbeat)

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

I don't think there are similar settings for HUB/CAS roles, as these keys were explicitly created for database availability groups. Do you have any issues with backing up these VMs?

Thank you!
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

Last night was our first time. So far no reported issues.

Thanks,
TS
bteichner
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brian Teichner

Post by bteichner »

This is a great KB article. We have been struggling with Exchange backups and database failovers for quite a while now, and had to find a lot of these settings along the way. This is the first time I saw this article today.

We have already done most of the changes listed here (except changing some of the db maintenance schedules, vmx change, and NFS to VMFS which is not an option for us). Some nights we get by without a failover, but at least a few nights a week we are still failing over databases. At the bottom of this article, it mentions just backing up the passive copy and still being able to truncate logs. Has anyone been successful with this? We tried this initially (at least a year ago) and weren't able to truncate logs.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Brian,

Have you had a chance to review this thread, as it might shed some light on why logs were not truncated in your case?

Thanks!
trackstar
Expert

Post by trackstar »

bteichner wrote:This is a great KB article. We have been struggling with Exchange backups and database failovers for quite a while now, and had to find a lot of these settings along the way. This is the first time I saw this article today.

We have already done most of the changes listed here (except changing some of the db maintenance schedules, vmx change, and NFS to VMFS which is not an option for us). Some nights we get by without a failover, but at least a few nights a week we are still failing over databases. At the bottom of this article, it mentions just backing up the passive copy and still being able to truncate logs. Has anyone been successful with this? We tried this initially (at least a year ago) and weren't able to truncate logs.
I backup all the servers, but do it sequentially (one server at a time).