Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

KB2119 and DFSR replication issues

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

Hey guys, we just had a client get hit by ransomware, and we successfully restored all their servers from backups. Unfortunately, we ran into a DFSR issue which led us to https://www.veeam.com/kb2119. Reading that document, it seems like a heck of a lot of manual work which seems unusual for Veeam's modus operandi. Usually things are pretty much automated. Has anyone found a way to handle all of this tedious, detailed work in a more efficient, automated way?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: KB2119 and DFSR replication issues

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I don't what exactly you restored, but the KB article covers multiple scenarios. So only parts of the article are relevant depending on the situation.

Yes, restoring a multi-master-replication application like Active Directory is more complex than single-file or VM restore :-)

Best regards,
Hannes
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

Yeah, I was referring to "Restoring entire AD infrastructure (AKA “all DC’s are lost”)" because all three of the client's domain controllers were lost. I am just really puzzled why the restoration process is so extremely involved (i.e. highly technical and manual). Supposedly because the client was using FRS in the past, we did not encounter sync problems when we just restored all the servers from the same point in time. But this time around they are on DFSR, and we ran into major sync problems that took a long time to resolve. Does this just not come up enough that Veeam isn't interested in handling the technical, manual steps behind the scenes, automatically like they do in most other restore scenarios?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi James,

I believe it's a good idea to automate such a complex restore scenario and it makes sense to note this idea as a feature request. However, we need to estimate the priority of this request before we can start implementation.

Thanks!