Large VIB file on a small static server

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Large VIB file on a small static server

Veeam Logoby Yuki » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:59 pm

this is driving us crazy.

On our 10TB server, last friday's backup is 1.6TB again! Even though only about 150GB of files changed friday AND saturday. How can we find out what is changing? We know users didn't type up 1.6TB worth of new documents, and our space usage did not increase 1.6tb.

What's going on? How can we figure out what is happening?

Win 2012 Standard
File server
No Anti-virus
No defrag
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 26 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:13 am

Is it possible that the file server's file system is fragmented? In this case, changing 1MB file can easily results in 10 1MB blocks changed (10x of the actual file size).
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2409 times

Veeam Logoby tsightler » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:22 am

Aren't you running dedupe? When are you running chunk store scrubbing and garbage collection? Those processes will make a large number of changes across the entire disks. I think the default is Saturday morning (or Friday night, based on how you look at it) at 2:45AM for Scrubbing, and 3:45AM for Garbage Collection. You can use "Get-DedupSchedule" to see the schedule. That's really the most likely culprit and is simply a side effect of running dedupe. What is the size of a more typical night?
tsightler
Veeam Software

Liked: 1821 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Veeam Logoby Yuki » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:37 am

A typical day would produce between 100-300GB.

It could be fragmentation mixed with dedupe, but at this point we are moving away from veeam as vmware level backups are not a good solution for this system. Not an issue with Veeam directly, just a bad match of existing needs and technologies involved.
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 26 times

[MERGED] Any guides on what's "touching" files (large inc. s

Veeam Logoby pkelly_sts » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:32 am

I have a file server that only generates around 1gb new data a day maximum but which is generating 36Gb+ incremental backup sizes and I can't figure out why.

There's no A/V installed on this server so it isn't an AV scan modifying last accessed timestamps
There's no defrag job scheduled/running

Because it's veeam that's effectively highlighting to me that /something/ is changing somewhere, thus causing a lot of changed blocks, it's a little difficult to search on in the big-wide-t'internet.

Does anyone have any other clues they could point me towards?

Paul
[New Sig: PLEASE get GFS tape support for incrementals!!!]
pkelly_sts
Expert

Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:35 am

Paul, this topic should give you some hints to check. Though, feel free to ask for additional clarification, if required after reviewing it. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Abnormally large incremental backups

Veeam Logoby eric » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:10 pm

Hello All,

Running VBR 7.0 R2 as a test.

I just backed up a domain controller, which has very low volume, subsequent incremental backups are around 600MB.

That seems too large of a change in just a few hours.

Any thoughts?

~eric
eric
Enthusiast

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:30 am

Hi, Eric,

Your post has been merged into existing discussion regarding similar issue; so, please, take a look at the answers provided above. In general, VMs running special applications such as DC, SQL, Exchange are notoriously known for producing large incremental files. Another possible reasons include regular anti-virus scans or de-fragmentation activity.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1026 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 am

Antivirus scans are read only, so I don't see how they can introduce disk changes?
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:49 am

As far as I know, some anti-virus program might change archive bit of a file, or file attributes, in general. This results in increased amount of changes. Some users have also claimed previously that disabling antivirus activity resulted in decreased incremental files.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1026 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:26 am

This sounds really strange to me too. Antivirus are supposed to be a problem for IOPS, but not for changing files. In this way, an antivirus can also cause problems to replication or backup software installed at the guest OS level, and is a really bad behaviour...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1381 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby pkelly_sts » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:52 pm 1 person likes this post

Just as an addendum (apologies if already covered in this thread, I've not read through it all) I was recently looking into a similar issue on one of our servers and I think I've found the culprit to be DFS replication. Even though we have a 4Gb DFS cache thingy configured (can't remember proper name right now) I was watching the cache whilst trouble-shooting & noticed it create a 15Gb temp file there which it repeated a few times.

I've not /confirmed/ this to be the cause but I strongly suspect it to be a big contributor in my case...

Paul
[New Sig: PLEASE get GFS tape support for incrementals!!!]
pkelly_sts
Expert

Liked: 55 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

[MERGED] Any way to determine why my backups are so large?

Veeam Logoby speedline » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:02 pm

I have a job that backs up 7 virtual machines from ESX. It takes around 12 hours to replicate them off site with "optimal" compression. So far it's 12% through the second to last virtual machine and it says that it's 65% complete and has already moved 35.6 GB of data. The servers it's backing up don't change a heck of a lot, or at least I don't think they do. I've been trying to find way of determining what's changed. Initially I had thought I'd solved the problem with all my SQL servers making backups on themselves (the setup before we had Veeam) but apparently there's still a lot of block change. Any way to track and record what's changing, or which server is causing the most data change?
speedline
Lurker

Full Name: SL IT Admin

Re: Any way to determine why my backups are so large?

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:31 pm

One thing you can do is disable compression, create a test job that uses incremental backup mode, and try to make sense out of the raw content of VIB file beyond the first 8MB. May be you will be able to recognize the content as belonging to some application.
Gostev
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Big incremental backups for Veeam backup server

Veeam Logoby Eagleman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:21 pm

I;ve been using Veeam for over a month and i really like it, i was using ghettovcb before and this felt like a huge step in time.

I do however have one problem.
Whenever i backup my "production machines" i also backup the machines that has Veeam Installed (Windows Server 2012)

Here is a picture of the backup results:
[EDIT] We had to delete a reference to the picture, because Google Chrome started blocking this page due to the image sharing provider chosen by the poster. Sorry about that.

As you can see the Windows Server is eating up 75% of the total backup.
This Windows Server is only using these roles: Ative Directory and DNS.
I think Veeam is somehow changing a lot of data during backups and then the incremental backups will be very large only because of Veeam.

Can i somehow stop these incremental files being so large?
Eagleman
Lurker

Full Name: Jan

PreviousNext

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication