Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tfleener
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Fleener

Licensing Clarification

Post by tfleener »

Trying to get a Veeam 7 license, upgrading from version 5.

We purchased Veeam 2 or 3 times, thus we have different maintenance dates. In additon, we want to add the Cloud opton to test out backing up to the cloud, we thought this was a subscription add on.

Our infrastructure has a Prod Site and a Dev/DR site, each site has 4 ESX host with 2 sockets each . In total we purchased 16 sockets, 8 for Prod and 8 for Dev/DR. LIcensing wise we have 8 sockets (2014 expireation date), 4 sockets (2015) expiration date and 4 sockets of Enterprise Cloud, which I thought was just a subscription to VBR. It looks like it is licenses separately from our VBR Enterprise.

I am needing a licenses for 16 sockets, but it appears it not possible. Veeam licensing has recommended I use the 8 license for 1 site (ie Dev/DR), and then setup up 2 VBR servers at the other site(1 with 4 socket license and another withe the 4 socket cloud license site). My DR site can backup/replicate 4 ESX hosts, which to me means DR only, thus I cannot replicate my PROD site to my DR site.

To me I believe I should have a 16 socket license so I can replicate and backup from two VBR servers (1 at DEV/DR and 1 at PROD), simple and not confusing.

Is there a way to get all my licenses into 1 license file ?

I am working with tech support, Case # 00458486, and am working with the licensing folks, but thus far it looks like it is an impossiblity.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Licensing Clarification

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Tom,

Team behind these forums is not involved in sales, so for all sales/licensing related questions, it's better to contact our sales reps directly. Anyway, based on this thread I believe you can merge your 8 sockets (2014 expiration date) and 4 sockets (2015 expiration date) license keys. As to the Cloud Edition license key, then as far as I remember it is subscription based, so merging it with perpetual license keys you have purchased for the main and the DR sites is not possible.

Thank you!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

tfleener wrote: To me I believe I should have a 16 socket license so I can replicate and backup from two VBR servers (1 at DEV/DR and 1 at PROD), simple and not confusing.
Hi, Tom,

The Veeam backup license is only concerned with the “source” host.

So, if you’re going to backup/replicate VMs that reside only on production site, 8 sockets will be enough; and it doesn’t matter how many VB&R installations you have. On the other hand, if both VMs that are located at production site and ones that are located at DR site are backed up/replicated, 16 sockets will be required.

Thanks.
tfleener
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Fleener

Post by tfleener »

To update this thread with what I learnd about licensing:

Given that you need a consolidated license (that is all your VBR perpetual licenses combined into a single license), when adding the Cloud Add-on plugin, you will be required to purchase the same number of licenses of the cloud add-on.

However, in my case, given I need to replicate and backup from both my DR/DEV and my PRODUCTION sites, I need a consolidated license. But, for backing up to the cloud, I really on need to 8 licenses (PROD servers only), we have no requirements to store DR/DEV backups on the cloud. Thus, I must purchase an additonal 8 to 12 Cloud licenses I will not use.

I could get away with just 4 cloud licenses (2 cloud VM servers) and backup using a share on the DR\DEV & PROD, however this is not possible if you need the consolidated license.

The incremental cost is not excessive, for us it is $1000 to $1500 per year (an additional 8 to 12 cloud licenses). The big advantage of the extra licenses will be additonal thruput to the cloud site as I will be able to establish more connections to the cloud. We are currently starting to test so we have not established our thruput requirements.