Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
signal
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Linux guest file indexing

Post by signal »

I'm working with a security focused customer where all servers are hardened. On both Windows and Linux this means nothing is allowed unless it is explicitly allowed. To save myself many days of trial and error I need to get the full details of how the guest file indexing works on Linux. This includes all details from start of backup job to finish, included, but not limited to logging in, any command elevation, commands run, ports used, firewall openings that need to be in place, data flow, files accessed, scripts run and files/folders used.

The documentation available online has no specifications of this kind. Is this available anywhere?
signal
Enthusiast

Re: Linux guest file indexing

Post by signal »

Bump
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

For indexing, Linux VM must have openssh, mlocate, gzip and tar tools installed (index data is retrieved from mlocate database). I believe you can see the exact commands in the security log files under "sudo" user. For ports, please review the system requirements.
signal
Enthusiast

Post by signal »

Thank you foggy

I've been through the documentation and best practice. What I'm looking for is flow charts in the communication and operation outside and within the client OS.

My local Veeam contact gave me some information from your closed forums, and I have some of the information I seek. Others may have the same questions, and I'd love to see some more detail in your documentation. The details could be a deeper dive into what the "agent" does during backup and/or restore or how connection and transmission between backup server, proxy and client is done using a network flow diagram.