Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Brad.Morris
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brad Morris

Long term archival jobs

Post by Brad.Morris »

Hi all,

I have been reading on here posts on how to run GFS jobs. But I still don't get it fully and it sort of does not fit into my requirements. So sorry if my post is covered on other posts.

I have currently backup jobs that backup Production servers using Incremental backups. These run for 7 days.

I then have copy jobs that copy these production servers to a slower tier disk for a 3 month retention. This is where I start to get a bit lost in how to set these jobs.
I want these jobs to have 4 weekly full backups and 3 monthly full backups. What I am not sure is how I should schedule these copy jobs. Should they run every day? Or is that overkill and using up too much storage?

I also run long term archive jobs that are copy jobs but with only selected data that needs to be kept for 7 years. So I have setup extra cop jobs that run for this purpose. This where I am getting really confused on how I should set these jobs up to run.
Currently I have them set to keep 2 restore points (minimum setting) and only to keep 84 Monthly backups. What I am not sure of is how often should I run these jobs?

Any help would be great.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6722 times

Re: Long term archival jobs

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Brad. What is your RPO for recovery from those backups? This is what will define Backup Copy job schedule.
Brad.Morris
Enthusiast

Post by Brad.Morris »

RPO for weekly backups is 1 day. The long term archive does not really have RPO. As long as there is a monthly restore point.

Hope that helps.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

In that case, I would run the job every day, however have the minimal possible retention set for recent backups (I believe it's 2). This way, you will only have only 2 daily backups at any given point in time, so these restore points will use minimal storage space (negligible comparing to monthly fulls). Thanks!
Brad.Morris
Enthusiast

Post by Brad.Morris »

Even the archive jobs that I only need to keep a monthly backup?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Yes, this be the best way to ensure 1 day RPO.