Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
plandata_at
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Plandata Datenverarbeitungs GmbH

long term feature request: use policy based settings!

Post by plandata_at »

Hi!

I would like to make a long term feature request:

What i like about veeam is the simplicity of backup, not 10 different agents vor all application, it's all on VM level and all in one software.

What i don't like about veeam is the Gui. I don't like to configure settings and shedules in 25 jobs, thats annoying. And there is one simple solution for this --> Work with "policies" and attach the policies to jobs....
That would solve so much things, and would make configuration so much easier!

Example:

you have daily, weekly and monthly jobs for 25 remote offices:
no i have to configure 25 jobs for daily, 25 weekly and 25 monthly, every job a shedule, evry job different settings on different parts of the GUI.
When working with policies, i would create three policies and attach the policies to the job, finished! When changing omething, i could change it globaly in the policy.
And if you just give the opportunity to overwrite a policy in the job settings, you have both: simplicity and flexibility!

I know this is a long term change for a bigger realease, but maybe you could think about that!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: long term feature request: use policy based settings!

Post by Shestakov »

Hi!
Thanks for the kind words and interesting request.
Now you can just clone existing job and change a single value in it (object(s)/schedule/target) if needed. So creation of 25 jobs will take about 5 to 10 minutes.
If you have policies, you don`t want VMs to be backed up at the same time. Veeam can automatically distribute backup over a day, but how would you like it to work if backup of all VMs exceed backup window?
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins » 2 people like this post

I love this idea.

For most of us it's not about creating the jobs, it's about making changes once they are already setup and running. For example say you've just added some more disk space to your repo and want to keep more restore points... editing of every job, or you've had to specify which proxies jobs use so backup jobs don't try and use your hotadd proxies that are for replication when you have SAN connected proxies, and you need to replace one of those proxies, again editing every single job.

If all this was in a global policy it would simplify all of that.
plandata_at
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Plandata Datenverarbeitungs GmbH

Post by plandata_at »

Yes, thats exactly what i have in mind!
Delo123
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Guido Meijers

Post by Delo123 »

Smells like Rubrik...
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Thanks for good use cases Dave.
The request is taken into account!