Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mfry_idx
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael

Long Term Storage Solutions

Post by mfry_idx »

Greetings,

I have utilized Veeam for a number of employers and in my current role I have a challenge that I am looking for the best way to proceed.

Question:

I have a large store of data (Currently 20TB with expected growth of about 1TB/Month) with indefinite retention required. After about 30 days of local access, the data just needs to be cold storaged and will very rarely (maybe 1-2 year) need to be recalled and accessed. I am looking for any suggestions for the best way to "Cold" storage the backups while implementing our new Veeam solutions.

Current System:

Currently we are using a custom scripting to move data to an external hard drive that rotates every week. When the "Fresh" data grows and fills the drive up, that data (Lets say 1/1/2019 - 3/1/2019) will be moved to an archive location onsite and the offsite hard-drive is tagged with the timeframe and sent offsite permanently. We replace the completed drive and start the cycle again. This provides us with a rotation of data to secure data on a weekly basis and a long term solution.

Facts:
  • The data once written will not change
  • The data only needs to reside onsite for 30 days
  • We utilize physical offsite storage of data (Salt Mine storage)
  • We do not utilize any cloud storage
  • Spindle Storage (No Tapes)
  • ESX VM
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Long Term Storage Solutions

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums. Normally, scripting should not be required if you use the "rotated drives" option

Your current system sounds good to me. As an alternative, you could think about using capacity tier with object storage. That would eliminate the requirement to transport disks.

Best regards,
Hannes