Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tomas.odehnal
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Tomas Odehnal

Lost files on vPowerNFS datastore

Post by tomas.odehnal »

Hello,

I moved some vmdks for archival purposes to vPower NFS share and then I moved different vmdks from vPower NFS share to vmfs datastore (both using Move-HardDisk PowerCLI command). In the middle of the other move the tasks failed and I found out the datastore is empty. According to this post http://forums.veeam.com/veeam-backup-re ... t6183.html there should be no problem using the datastore for "non Veeam" files. Am I wrong?

Edit: I opened case (#00624473).

Tomas
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6711 times

Re: Lost files on vPowerNFS datastore

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Tomas. Your files should still be stored in the vPower NFS root folder, unless something deleted them. Thanks!
tomas.odehnal
Influencer

Post by tomas.odehnal »

Hello Gostev,

thanks for the response. I just wanted to be sure Veeam Backup doesn't touch files it didn't store there. Yes, that's the problem, something deleted them and I don't know what and why. Nothing beside Veeam and VMware has access to the folder. Mystery :)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

tomas.odehnal wrote:I just wanted to be sure Veeam Backup doesn't touch files it didn't store there.
Yep, VB&R shouldn't touch these files. Chances are, some activity happening outside Veeam deleted those files. But please keep working with support team. They might be able to give more on what's happened, once the debug logs are analyzed. Thanks.
tomas.odehnal
Influencer

Post by tomas.odehnal » 1 person likes this post

I could reproduce the problem. I already sent info to the support team and I'm also posting here for others.

The problem appears when moving vmdk files using Move-HardDisk PowerCLI command from Veeam NFS to other datastore. The move command removes whole directory after the file move regardless of the content.
Example:
- Veeam NFS root contains directory "test" and that contains disks "1.vmdk" and "2.vmdk" (with corresponding flat files)
- using following command I move the "1.vmdk" to different datastore

Code: Select all

Get-HardDisk –Datastore VeeamNFS –Datastorepath "[VeeamNFS] test/" | Where-Object { $_.Filename -like "*1*" } | Move-HardDisk –Datastore otherDS
After the move is finished the directory test is deleted even if it contained files. I tested also NFS datastore hosted on Synology and the problem didn’t appear. So it’s not related to NFS in general but to Veeam NFS. That’s even more confusing.
I have PowerCLI version 5.5 R1 (5.5.0.5836), will try to update to R2.
tomas.odehnal
Influencer

Post by tomas.odehnal »

With PowerCLI 5.5 R2 (5.5.0.6579) it's slightly different - the files are removed and the empty directory remains there. It still happens only on Veeam NFS datastore.