Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stewsie
Veteran
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Paul

Malware scanning with v12.1

Post by stewsie »

I have recently updated Veeam B&R to v12.1 and am interested in the Malware functionality

I have enabled "inline entropy analysis". Is there any additional configuration or will this identify Malware if found during a backup? Does it need to run for an extended period to analyse the files?

I had tried a scan using what I thought were valid YARA files but when I investigated the actual files saw that they were just examples and not actually doing anything.

Are there any examples of YARA files that Veeam have that can be edited as necessary?

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Malware scanning with v12.1

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Paul
I have enabled "inline entropy analysis". Is there any additional configuration or will this identify Malware if found during a backup? Does it need to run for an extended period to analyse the files?
No additional configuration required. After enabling it, the next backup session will "rescan" all blocks from the source machine to create a <baseline documentation> of machine volumes. Subsequent runs will then compare what has changed compared to the baseline. The exact process is documented in our user guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... w-it-works

With inline entropy analysis, we can detect the following malware activity:
- Encrypted files
- Onion links
- Ransom notes

But we cannot detect sleeping malware by it. We only get active after the Malware has started "doing something".
I had tried a scan using what I thought were valid YARA files but when I investigated the actual files saw that they were just examples and not actually doing anything.
Are there any examples of YARA files that Veeam have that can be edited as necessary?
YARA rules are useful if you know what to look for. As an example, your security team has investigated an attack and confirmed which Malware was responsible for it. Then you can use YARA rules to scan your backups for this exact type of Malware.
We provide some sample files on the backup server: C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup\YaraRules
And we also provide YARA rules for the Top10 Ransomware threads in our Veeam Community boards:
https://community.veeam.com/yara-and-sc ... reats-6267

If you like to check out external webpages, you may find multiple rules and examples on github:
https://github.com/Yara-Rules/rules

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
stewsie
Veteran
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Paul

Re: Malware scanning with v12.1

Post by stewsie »

Excellent

Thank you for the detailed information