Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dcampregher
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Diogo Campregher

Manually removal of GFS restore points on ReFS

Post by dcampregher »

In an environment that has backup copy GFS configured, there are 11 weekly restore points and 02 daily restore points. All the GFS was created with the block clone api.

The doubt is: Can i remove manually the oldest VBK files from the GFS chain with safe ? Or is there anyway to achieve this goal ? In standard repositories i did this process many times with sucess to release disk space.

The objective is release some space ( yes, i know that the files created with the api are spaceless ) and to keep the only the required restore points for this job.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Manually removal of GFS restore points on ReFS

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
you should never manually remove any restore points. That leads to inconsistencies with the Veeam configuration database. As you already manually deleted restore points... yes, often "it just works", but no guarantee for that.

Recommendation: reduce the number of weekly restore points and Veeam will delete the unnecessary backups.

To answer your question: it will not break other files. You only will have inconsistencies in the Veeam configuration database.

Best regards,
Hannes
dcampregher
Service Provider
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Diogo Campregher

Post by dcampregher »

And in a case wich the backup copy job is disabled and is not possible to run the job ? The policy is 11 Restore Points with the GFS in this job but, the source VM was migrated to another hypervisor and another chain of backup and backup copy job was created, of course.

What i need is a way to reduce the old GFS restore point chain to keep only the 11 ( each 01 created in the new chain, i remove 01 in the older chain ) required and not still waitting for the next 11 weeks to remove all the 11 older restore once a time. Is possible i will run out of space if i need to wait these 11 weeks.

Do you understand um need ?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

well, you did not say that the BCJ is not active anymore :-)

Then support can help to fix the database inconsistencies. Just tell them before deleting files and it should be no problem.