Mass updating Veeam to latest version

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Mass updating Veeam to latest version

Veeam Logoby ryan1cf » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:21 pm

Hello,

Has anyone ever automated the update of Veeam 9 to the latest update? I asked support if there were powershell commands for pausing the backups, running the setup.exe silently then resuming jobs after but there appear to be no methods to do this known to them.

Thanks,
Ryan
ryan1cf
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Faulkner

Re: Mass updating Veeam to latest version

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:16 am

Hi Ryan,

To disable the jobs, you could use these:

Code: Select all
Get-VBRJob -Name "Job 01", "Job 02" | Disable-VBRJob

The syntax (and order) to deploy B&R in silence is described here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

And then finally, you need to reverse the jobs to enable so:

Code: Select all
Get-VBRJob -Name "Job 01", "Job 02" | Enable-VBRJob

I haven't done it myself yet the way, but the above should get you going I believe

Let me know
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 379 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:28 am

Be aware that update setup checks whether there are no open PowerShell instances before proceeding to installation. So, you have to disable jobs and silently install updates within different processes - say, PS and command line.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1002 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby ryan1cf » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:52 pm

Well I tried and failed then I found this here : https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

Unattended Upgrade

Veeam Backup & Replication does not support product upgrade in the unattended mode. However, you can:

Uninstall the previous version of the product.
Install a newer version of the product in the unattended mode. You must connect to the configuration database that was used by the previous product version.

Makes mass upgrading a little more complicated. I did try upgrading via the msi's but got hung up on upgrading the console, so probably best to do a full uninstall then install in unattended mode but the challenge would be making sure the configuration database's are all named the same, I'm pretty sure our's are but would need to do some testing.
ryan1cf
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Ryan Faulkner

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication