Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sdelacruz
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam De La Cruz

Microsoft Server 2016 vs Dedup appliance recomendation

Post by sdelacruz »

Good morning,

I am in the hunt for a new Veeam Backup repository. I cannot decide to go with a DE duplication appliance rather than purchase a Dell R730x with 16 4TB drives and 2 SSD drives for OS (RAID10 which would give me 32 TB of backup space). My plan is to use Refs on the volume I would store my veeam files.

I have approximately 12 TB of data that I backup.
My goal is to keep at least 1 month of disk backups and have the best restore performance. My backup window now is just fine.

I have already quoted both and the dedup appliance is almost 5K more expensive with only 7TB of storage.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Sam
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Microsoft Server 2016 vs Dedup appliance recomendation

Post by DGrinev »

Sam,

Generally the hardware dedup appliance would be a better choice, but you should make a decision according to your requirements such as fast recovery performance and so on.
You can always find a lot of useful information posted by community members. Thanks!
the_mentor
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: DeMentor

Re: Microsoft Server 2016 vs Dedup appliance recomendation

Post by the_mentor »

Hi Sam,
We've been using a Windows 2016 Server as a Veeam Repo with DeDuplication and are extremely happy with it.
We're using a PowerEdge R730xd with 18 disks.
Here are a few points to take into account:
1) DeDup requires a decent amount of CPU/Memory so you might want to get a beefier server.
we got 64GB of RAM and are using about 50% of it CPU is mainly idle unless a Optimization or Scrubbing Job runs.
we also use this server as a proxy server with direct SAN access to save some network bandwidth so that was also a consideration to get more CPU power.
2) DeDup has much slower performance especially when using stuff like instant restore so we have 2 Repos on different RAID Groups one is our short term backups (30 days) and the other one is our Archived/DeDupe repo and we use a backup copy job to archive about 1 year worth of backups.

In case you're wondering here are statistics I pulled from the server's DeDup Drive we get about 89% DeDupe ration its quite impressive.

Capacity : 56.07 TB
FreeSpace : 44.54 TB
UsedSpace : 11.53 TB
UnoptimizedSize : 113.54 TB
SavedSpace : 102.01 TB
SavingsRate : 89 %
OptimizedFilesCount : 3418
OptimizedFilesSize : 112.79 TB
OptimizedFilesSavingsRate : 90 %
InPolicyFilesCount : 3418
InPolicyFilesSize : 112.79 TB

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Edit: forgot to mention that Windows 2016 was a must for us because it adds support for a multicore DeDupe operations.
-DeMentor