Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dkeen94
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Dan Keen

Migrate ReFS SOBR

Post by dkeen94 »

We currently have 2 x virtual Windows 2019 repository servers configured as a SOBR with ISCSI storage attached and the storage has been formatted with ReFS inside of Windows to leverage block cloning. We have built 2 new 2022 servers in readiness to replace the 2019 servers however i wanted to know if there is a way for us to be able to move or transfer the data across to these two new servers without rehydrating the ReFS data?

1)Is it best to detach the extents from the SOBR / Veeam and the move the ISCSI storage across to the new servers, re-add back to Veeam / SOBR and rescan?

2)Is it best to create new extents on the 2022 servers, add them to the current SOBR and seal off the extents of the 2019 servers so that data is only added to the 2022 extents? If we went with this option will Veeam perform full backups onto the new extents?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Migrate ReFS SOBR

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums

1) sounds the easiest way to me independent from the file system.

2) Looks like that does not meet the requirements from above as you want to "move or transfer". Technically it's fine and you get new full backups, yes.

3) In V12 you could use "evacuate". That uses VeeaMover and VeeaMover preserves block cloning

Best regards,
Hannes
dkeen94
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Dan Keen

Re: Migrate ReFS SOBR

Post by dkeen94 »

Hi Hannes,

Thank you for the response!

I have chosen to use the V12 evacuate "VeeaMover" process so I can gradually migrate these backups across to a new SOBR.