Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Stephan23
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Stephan

Migrating Repository Server

Post by Stephan23 »

Our current Repository Server is a physical Windows Server 2016 machine. Connected to it is a 60TB LUN formatted as ReFS.
The server will be replaced by a similar (but newer) hardware with Windows Server 2022.

Is there any reason NOT to just dismount the volume from the old server and connect it to the new one?
The way I see it Windows Server 2022 upgrades the ReFS Version, so there is no going back once connected (or is there?).
The alternative is to copy the backup files (as described here: https://www.veeam.com/kb1729), but that would require way more time and space as I like.

Also, is there any benefit to freshly formatting a partition as ReFS in Windows Server 2022 compared to upgrading an existing ReFS Volume?
And also, is there any benefit on Veeam side for creating a new backup chain on a newer ReFS volume?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Migrating Repository Server

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
From Microsoft side there have been some issues in the past with in-place upgrades. With a current version of Server 2022 that should be fine.

From a Veeam side, you can continue using the existing backup chains.

Best regards,
Hannes
Stephan23
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Stephan

Re: Migrating Repository Server

Post by Stephan23 »

Hello Hannes.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Would issues with in-place upgrades also apply to freshly installed Windows Server 2022 to which a Volume, previously created under Windows Server 2016, gets connected?

I guess I will try my luck. First tests are all looking good.

Stephan