Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Bunce
Veteran
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Andrew

Modification of Full->Incremental after cancelled job

Post by Bunce »

Hi All,

I've got a few jobs that take monthly backups, with active full's set to run on the first Saturday in July only (today), and incrementals for all other months of the year. I.e. for end of financial year offload to tape.

This was infact a mistake and should have been set to run the fulls for the first Saturday in August, however the jobs began processing before I could make the fix..

I've cancelled the jobs before they completed which has left them in an 'inconsistent state', meaning I have:
  • The VBK from July last year, followed by
  • 11 Incrementals, followed by
  • the start of the new VBK, as a result of the cancelled job today
If I now correct the job settings to run the active full in August, and restart (not retry) the job, will it pick up with an incremental, disregarding the failed job, or will it run a full irrespective, in order to clean up the failed job..

If the latter, I assume a manual deletion of the failed VBK would also require manual mods to the DB to remove any record of todays execution to force continuation of the Incremental??

Cheers,
Andrew
Bunce
Veteran

Re: Modification of Full->Incremental after cancelled job

Post by Bunce »

After re-reading the above, I'm not holding out much hope as both the Database and .vbm file in each job would have been touched, and therefore need to be rolled back somehow..

Which leads me to an alternative approach:
- Restore the VBR database to before the backup commenced
- Restore the individual job's .vbm file to be before the backup commenced
- Delete the failed VBK file..
- Fix the job settings to run the Full in August

I can't think of a reason this wouldn't work as the VBR effectively wouldn't know that the FULL job had run..??

FYI, the reason I need the full to run in August is because the tape space required will blow out if trying to offload two fulls for each job, instead of just the one. However I still need a restore point taken in July to satisfy EOFY..
Bunce
Veteran

Re: Modification of Full->Incremental after cancelled job

Post by Bunce »

Successful :D

Restored VBR DB and .vbm files, and ran an incremental.

Then rolled DB forward again so that other jobs which had since run were back in Sync.

Next run of the monthly's is a full so doesn't matter that db doesn't know about the incremental.

Demonstrates why back ups of the vbr database is important.