Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
noname
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: noname

[Feature Request] - Monitor Veeam backup jobs without using an admin account

Post by noname »

Hi,
I'm new to Veeam, and so far, we are pleased with the product. However, we also want to monitor the backup jobs using our monitoring system, PRTG. I've found two solutions for this:

Option 1: Utilizing a GitHub project - This seems promising, but there's a risk it may cease functioning after patching PRTG or Veeam to a new version.
GitHub project link: https://github.com/vMarkusK/Advanced-PRTG-Sensors/

Option 2: Using the official monitoring alternative for PRTG - This appears to be a solid option, although it requires the installation of Veeam Enterprise Manager.
Official PRTG sensor link: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/v ... tus_sensor

However, to get this to work, I need to create a user with the role of Portal Administrator in Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager. I would prefer a Portal User with read-only access only. Typically, I use read-only accounts to monitor things, which I consider to be best practice. Unfortunately, this approach doesn't seem to work. I'm not entirely sure how the official PRTG sensor operates, but it communicates with Veeam Enterprise Manager using the standard port 9398. Storing read-write accounts in PRTG could pose a security risk in case of a breach.

Are there any other methods available for monitoring Veeam backup jobs without requiring an admin account or do I have to request a feature request?

Thank you!
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: [Feature Request] - Monitor Veeam backup jobs without using an admin account

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

As for now, I would use the GitHub project. There seems to be no real risk if it works. Nothing to lose so to say. I know the author and they use it in larger installation. So the chance is good, that it stays maintained as long as he is a customer :-)

In general we plan to improve the REST API which should allow monitoring with read-only accounts.

Best regards,
Hannes