Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bsoosay
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Benjamin Soosay

Month End Backups

Post by bsoosay »

Hi! I'm on Veeam Backup and Replication version 7.

My daily backups are done by DataStore level.

But I'm not sure how to configure month end backups, which should be synthetic fulls. And to get it to run on the last day of the month.

Is it possible to get this done?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Month End Backups

Post by foggy »

Benjamin, if you need to run backup on the last day of the month, you should schedule it via Task Manager, as currently the job scheduler allows to select particular week days only. Also, you cannot configure synthetic fulls less frequently than weekly, consider using active fulls instead.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Benjamin,
What type of daily backups do you have now?
As foggy mentioned synthetic fulls can be done via scheduler only on a weekly basis. However you can make Active Fulls once a month and use backup copy job to keep monthly backup separately.
Thank you.
bsoosay
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Benjamin Soosay

Post by bsoosay »

hi Foggy and Shestakov,

Currently, I'm doing incrementals on weekdays, and there is an option to check synthetic fulls on a Saturday. So doesn't the weekend synthetic full kick off on its own if scheduled on a weekend. I ask this because Shestakov mentioned - " synthetic fulls can be done via scheduler only on a weekly basis"

I assumed synthetic fulls during the weekends can be triggered automatically and not via Task Scheduler.

Foggy when you mention "Task Scheduler", I assume you mean via Windows Scheduler?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Benjamin,

You are correct synthetic fulls during the weekends can be triggered automatically in the VBR scheduler. But only one per week, not one per month.
I suppose foggy meant Windows Task Scheduler, because you asked about running the job once a month.
bsoosay wrote:Currently, I'm doing incrementals on weekdays, and there is an option to check synthetic fulls on a Saturday. So doesn't the weekend synthetic full kick off on its own if scheduled on a weekend. I ask this because Shestakov mentioned - " synthetic fulls can be done via scheduler only on a weekly basis"
True, you can schedule synthetic full to run every Saturday and it is a good idea since you are doing daily incrementals.
Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Synthetic full is triggered automatically on the specified days, if you've selected the corresponding option. However the least frequent option is weekly. If you need a monthly set of daily increments and synthetic full at the end of the month, you need to invoke a little bit of scripting and create script that would enable synthetic full in the job settings, run the job and disable synthetic back. Such script can then be scheduled via Task Scheduler to run on the required days.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

This script might allow help you to run synthetic full on demand. Thanks.