Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mmooreforum
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike

Monthly/Yearly Backup Recommendation

Post by mmooreforum »

Everyone,

I currently run latest Veeam B&R version to perform Vmware v6 server backups. I run daily backups to NAS local to the Veeam host via a backup job for each VM or VM set. I also have a Backup Copy job for each of those jobs which keeps a backup on a NAS located at an alternate building on campus. The monthly/yearly archive backups were originally part of the Backup Copy jobs mentioned going to the alternate building. I have implemented a new storage NAS at the same site where the servers reside and plan to keep the monthly/yearly backups on that storage with the dailies rather than at the remote building. It's faster and has lots of capacity.

My question is to accomplish this I only see the monthly/yearly retention as part of a Backup Copy job. I have a standard VM job running daily and a Backup Copy job running daily already. I do not want to create a second Backup Copy job, have it keep 2-4 days of backups I already have on the local NAS just so I can have it keep monthly/yearly backups there as well. Any way to have the regular backup job retain monthly/yearly backups? Do I have to create a second Backup Copy job after all?

Thanks!
Mike
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Monthly/Yearly Backup Recommendation

Post by foggy »

Hi Mike, regular backup job cannot implement GFS retention, so you need to create a second backup copy.
mmooreforum
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike

Post by mmooreforum »

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping there was a trick to get around it. Too bad. A second BC job would want to keep a few incrementals and a full backup. Of course, these would essentially be the same data the regular backup jobs already have saved to this device. I retain 60 days worth of daily backups.
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Post by skrause »

You can set your GFS job to have a retention of 2 in the "Restore Points to Keep" setting. That will make it only keep the last full point plus 1 increment (assuming you are using the default settings and using synthetic operations.)
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect